seneca lake first timer

Fished saturday morning out of geneva, cold wind 10 mph out of nw. Never fished this lake before i live on erie and troll both there and the big o, i was intrigued by the prospect of fishable water. Setting out fishing in a 16' polarcraft my 25 hp yamaha four stroke we fished didseys with spoons anywhere from 20' to 70' down over 60' to 240' nothing, no marks on sonar fished 2.3 to 3.2 on top water temp was 45. Nice scenery and not another boat , could see down to bottom in 30' of water. fished west shore. Did mark perch or lakers on some humps off castle on the bottom though. Any suggestions may try cayuga bnext time, how deep are fish through winter, should I run planner boards? Any trip is a good trip it's in the thrill of the chase.

You went to the wrong end of the Lake. Salmon, bows, and browns are still down off the tribs. Lakers should be off the big points or over the deep water suspended with the bait from the top down. I would deff run boards with 50ft to 300 copper and 2 to 12 color core. You will find them and when you do they will be hungry. As for how deep? they could be from the top down to 200+ I wouldn't spend my time fishing for the real deep fish only the ones from the top down to 100. Sean

:yes: What Sean said. There will be an increasing amount of chatter about winter fishing very soon. Most of us get going after xmas. You do need to work the water column from planer flat lines to 150 fow much more so than summer fishing. Try and avoid hammering the juvey LLs on the surface along the drop off, they are aggressive & dumber than a box of rocks. -Andy

yeah fish deeper for the bigger landlocks...around 50 to 70 ft...top lining will only catch the little ones, those little buggers inhale the whole spoon...not matter if it a single or treble hook your digging the spoon out...run flasher and fly and the big weenie vibrator flys for lakers and you be surprised how many other fish you will catch with them flys...

Thanks for the info, i will try again in a couple of weeks - I have no leadcore or copper, tried them and don't prefer fishing that way, but I can get my dipseys down to 70' and 50' off the planners - and will bring a downrigger next time, i will fish the south end like you guys said with spoons and a couple flys, nice lake and thanks again for info.