Advice on a good .243 Win round for coyotes

momay4000

Ladies/gentlemen,

I just got word that my "bread and butter" coyote gun for the past few years just got recalled by S+W/Thompson so I have to stop using it immediately and send it back to the factory for repair.

Nonetheless, I own both a .243 and /17HMR, but I'm concerned the .17 won't be heavy enough for a good coyote kill, so I'm set on using the .243 to kill a few dogs this year.

Could anyone recommend a good .243 cartridge for coyotes that won't destroy the pelt?

Thanks a bunch,

- Chris

With all due respect I wouldn't recommend the 17/22 mag rim fires past 120 yds . I have a 22mag & used to use it during deer season for dogs but have had mixed results w/ it >120yds. I really like the 22-250 for long range yote work w/ the Hornady Superformance 50 grain V-max but did take 2 yotes w/ my new Savage model 11 .243 using the regular Hornady 100 grain BTSP cartridges this past deer season. Both shots were only 80+- yds and quite frankly I didn't think there was a lot of expansion but I don't pelt em anyway.We will carry the 243 as our 2cd rifle this year instead of the 22mag & I'm looking at ammo possibilities for it now. Let us know what you decide to do & how it works out. -Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to destroy the pelts, I would suggest a full metal jacket bullet. They are designed not to expand. They are accurate and mainly used for target practice or even punching through body armor. Down side is that they don't expand and can be less lethal, but when your putting the force of a 243 behind it ;) no problem. With the 243 I would chose either a 55gr to a 70 gr bullet. Again, FMJ's were not designed for hunting but they are very lethal and I think they work great on coyotes for saving the pelts.

I killed a lot chucks and coyotes with the hornady VMAX and it is one of my favorite bullets. I highly recommend them but they expand rapidly which I love but they do tear the pelts up a bit more. Hope this helps! Good luck