Pickled Fish

Here's a fantastic recipe I got from Clayton Diskerud at GLA. I tried it and can attest it is some of the best I've had. It tastes somewhat like the pickled herring you buy in the store, but it has a more firm consistency. Try it, you'll like it.

"Clayton Diskerud @ GLA:

Here's one that works fine for northern pike. I see no reason why it could not be used for other species.

2 cups fillets, cut into small chunks; 3/4 cup sugar; 2 tablespoons salt; 2 tablespoons pickling spice; 1.5 cups white vinegar; 3/4 cup onion, sliced thin.

Mix sugar, salt, spice and vinegar in jar, then add fish and onion. Refridgerate (covered) for 5 to 7 days before eating."

Note: some folks are getting squeamish about using raw fish for anything, for fear of tape worms and other such exotica. If it bothers you, then freeze the fish first. The freezing should eliminate any unwanted critters.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a recipe that I will be putting up as soon as I dig it out. But before my fish goes in the pickling brine I do an overnight of saltwater (proportions to come) and then an overnight of white vinegar. The straight vinegar overnight will take care of just about anything in there. Also the brine will disolve the Y bones in pike and pickeral..so you dont need to take them out. I have kept it for up to a year in my fridge. Its best after about a month

1 Cut fillets into 2in squares. Make a brine of 1/2 cup non-iodized salt to 1 quart of water

2 Place fillets in a nonreactive container and cover completely with salt water brine for 24 hours. after 24 hours drain and rinse fish.

3 cover fillets with white vinegar for 24 hours then drain

4 pack fish in sterilized jars with onion slices and cover with cooled pickling solution

5 wait at least 2 weeks before eating

pickling solution

4c white vinegar

3c sugar

1c white wine

2 raw onions sliced

1/4 cup pickling spice

in a large non-aluminum pan mix sugar into vinegar, heat but DO NOT BOIL add white wine onions and spices, now boil and cool