daiwa saltist?

Have been upgrading my rigger reels with the non-linecounter models. Faster on the pick-up after the release goes off. I have been apprehensive about using them on the no-stretch junk (wire, braid, copper) so I don't over-horse a fish and have the hooks tear out. THESE REELS ARE SOLID. Quality you can see and feel in your hands.

I got 5 of them last season. Only downfall is the placement of the line counter. Other than that, there is not a better reel for the $ IMO. The drags are super smooth and adjustments are more fine tuned than other brands (Tekotas).

We ran 2 for wire and 2 for lite line rods, and the performed flawlessly. Also running those lite line rods on the river for back trolling, AWESOME!!! esp when you have a steelie run right at the boat, and you can keep up with them. I agree on the placement of the counter, but that is the only downfall. I also wish they made one size smaller than the 20, those would be lining my gunnel for bts. Will be getting more this season!!! Good Luck

Capt. Rich

Yup, great reels. The only **** is that linecounter, which can eat into your wrist during a long fight. I posted on here a couple weeks ago about a store on ebay having the linecounter size 40s on sale for $125. Great deal. The reels hold more line that the "normal" Daiwa 47s, but because the frame is smaller, I don't think it will be an issue. They're certainly smaller than the Catalinas and Tekotas we run on the boat. I think for general downrigger fishing, the size 30 is fantastic (no linecounter needed, either).

I just looked back on ebay and the Saltists are now back up to normal price. I hope that the guys who wanted them got their orders in when I posted the deal a couple weeks back. Tight lines!

Thanks for all the replies...managed to pick a couple up off ebay before the price went back up. Thanks for the heads up Gator. Had to watch for a couple days but he relisted them for $125 and some change. Got the reels a couple of days ago and they seem pretty sweet. I can't wait to put them to the test!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...