Seneca Lake ...North vs. South

I have heard for years now (I'm old) that there are more fish in the South end than in the North. Is this true, and if so is it seasonal? Also if it is true what would be the real reasons? More streams feeding the lake, more baitfish, better structure (boulders, wrecks, hills, valleys etc.). How about that under water inlet that used to be

rumored that fed Seneca from other lakes. I know the current is South to North ... would that have any thing to do with it ... or is it all just a pantload?

Thanks.

sorta seasonal,and also to spacific spiecies. IE: spawing time (south end browns,bow,landlocks) lakers do concentrate south now as the baitfish are moving that way to spawn too...From may till nov their pretty much spread out.....

As far as hills valleys and structure thier ant too much of that so to speak...as you drive the shore line and ya see a point (usually due to 100000 of years from a small stream feeding the lake) then the bottom does change a lot as you cross these areas most noticable from shore to 150fow...thats why most "old timers" aim point to next point and try to stay straight when "pullin copper" keepin themselfs in approx 100 fow..(good tip for newbies),,, and the streams will bring food flow that will draw the food chain to these areas (nudder good tip).....

Ahh the oll underwater river rumor yup that is just that ,,,,but in the 80s i spent 100,s of hours diving many areas and i have found several underwater "blowouts" ...well thats what i call them probly due to some ground water streams that find their way up the lake bottom(well in 0 to120 ft deep as i dive alone)....their pretty cool as they tend to "puke" a 20 to 30 ft hole pushing out old bottles rocks and debres.

Now for the current, it is counter clockwise 99.9% due to the rotation of the earth much like the great lakes...If you leave long point and take a 40 to 60 deg heading you will encounter some really wierd currunts almost like 2 bodies of water reaction in one area,,,,from long point north the shoreline offers less protection from the wind as the landmass flattens out that is why ya get the goofy currents in that area sometimes creating "Inversions" that hold all sorts of crap IE sticks,mud line ,temp change and yup fishys...

Well hope this helps ....

Ray K.

ok #1 spawning area for lakers on south end is 20 ft off the dock(town pier) some late oct early nov nite check em out with a spotlight kinda freeky as they ball in masses and i mean thousands...

couple train cars in 70 to 100 fow near salt plant ; couple old Barges in 80fow just off fabonies(near town garage) used to be >>>>> west side at the end of the dead end road in town...

old cruiser (boat) in 50 to 75 fow straight out from rest room off beach.....casulaty of hurricane Agnes (72 flood)...

id tell ya where you could lift with yer hands 3 to 4 ft pike (dont lip em :lol: ) and when but some things should never be made public...and wont by me or private as far as that goes...

do you know their are hudge goldfish on the south end 18 to 24 in some as bright orange as any small goldfish and many white and multi colored ones ....

suppose yer gonna want to know what happend to the millions of smelt too??

lamphry treatment started in the 80s ----------------smelt population dissapeared in the 80s From Avon to me to you .....no middle man on my info....Took many calls and lots of talkin before the info was shared with me.....

For the new guys to Keuka 15 lb browns were not uncommon ,landlocks could be had from any shore and rainbows ran coldbrook that would make most ontario bows (or steelies) seem small,,,,,,but ,flood of 72 , beaver dams,lack of intrest by dec,,,,and the final demise of these big spawners were the few guys who ripped 15 lb fish and every thing else outa 10 in deep pools,where the fish had no cover in the water and no protection from the shore............so enjoy yer 15 in lakers I havent spent 1 nickel to fish keuka and coldbrook in over 25 years after going head to head with avon ,after some guy behind a desk tried to tell me i had no clue on water hydraulics and my ideas were worthless..............now with new stream bottom removal restrictions by the EPA (must be treated as contamanted soil and removed from area and properly disposed of) a 10,000 job 25 yrs ago will cost millions now.....but hey me justa plummer.. I tried and I tried really hard to save that stream . but fustration foot draggin and insults made me walk away ......sorry kids I should of fought harder for you ......but i had 2 kids in diapers and a few threats from dec if i tried to correct problem my self it would cost me big fines ..for 5 years I had a pick,shovel.saw,ropes hid in the bushes in hammondsport,and kept the creek open for 100,s of spawners before gettin busted for (disturbing a streambed) not a attaboy for saving 1000's of fish......Personally I belive it was a political game for someone to discourage the 1000's of fishermen every spring to spend their time and money in that area....

Ray, did you know that that boat over infront of the park, at one time was over near the the west side towards the pier area. They had moved it way back when. This is info from my family and the Schuyler County Sherriffs.