Installing a single hook vs. treble

Neo1945

When you install a single SS hook as a replacement for the original treble (on a spoon) do you recommend that the hook be installed so that the barb rides pointed down

or pointed up. I was just over thinking this and thought it might snag more if pointed down.

Thanks

My experience with this topic:

Kwikfish lures (fished on the bottom) will snag up if the hook is turned down more often than when it is turned up.

No difference for spoons. Direction of the hook usually results in hookups in top of mouth when turned up and lower jaw when turned down.

Neo,

I don't think I've ever seen a single barb "factory" spoon that didn't have the hook pointing towards the cupped surface. The great majority of fish I catch are hooked in lower jaw yet somehow every once in a while a little one with get "brain-hooked." I have a feeling those that were "brain-hooked' were becasue I was trolling a little fast.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'm guessing hooks are generally downward because there's more surface area in a fishes bottom part of the mouth than on the roof of it's mouth. (like most animals)

Also, it'd change/fight the natural flutter of the spoon if installed away from the cup. Being attached with a ring will not allow hook to rotate the full 360 deg. If you really curious, try attaching it with a barrel/bearing snap & observe how the hook rides behind the spoon.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I've heard on more than one occasion that the main reason treble hooks are installed with the 2 points down is simply because they fit in the blister packs better that way.

Most spoons with singles come point down. R&R spoons come with single hooks point up. Both ways hook fish equally well IMO.

Tim

I changed over most of my trolling spoons to single siwash hooks this past spring. From what I had read, point should be turned down toward the cup and the width of the hook should be no larger than the width of the spoon. That being said, I used 2/0 on the stinger and standard size spoons and 3/0 on my mags. I will say one thing...... I will not go back to treble hooks. Hook and catch rate went up significantly. The singles buried well into the mouth and also through several eye sockets. I definitely like not having to fight through the net tangle that I usually experienced with trebles.