Baked Carp anyone ???

choo-choo

I stopped in this deli near where I was working in New Jersey last week....I could not believe the sign on the door...LIVE CARP 1.99 lb. , yup , those carp you're thinking of !!! They gave me a free calender with a recipe on each month....check out the carp pictured , with whiskers, and the "delicious" sounding recipe with it. They are a dlicacy in some parts of Europe i guess.

Man, I guess there's a market for carp down in the new jersey area....the weight and money would add up a lot quicker catching carp for sale compared to yellow perch!!!!!

Anybody here in LOU land eat Carp ? Is it really tasty ?

Any body that tries this recipe....let us know how it turns out.....choo choo steve

P1000497.jpg

P1000420.jpg

P1000421.jpg

mmmmm something that sucks mud and debrie from the bottom must have great taste ...suppose if they were grain fed in a controled pond maybe??

naa unless its a survival situation ill pass and i would even pass the deli that sells carp,myself.. and i ant a fussy person when it comes to food...

Growing up in Israel ,it was a very popular pond raised fish with a very high growth rate that would be prepared in many different ways,often pickled or ground fine so the small bones would not be an problem.Nowadays tilapia has taken its place,but in traditional jewish homes (the polish ones) it is still used (gefillte fisch),while far eastern people also eat it a lot as well.

Why would anyone eat carp when there are Pike, Walleye, and perch roaming around the waters of this state?

Very often,after the carp is caught,it is held in clean ponds and fed sweet corn for a week or so. This completely changes the flavor of the fish.

Man , I don't think i can try eating them....I'm with Ray K on this one. I don't like the idea that they root around on the bottom, in any kind of water,...... who knows what they are ingesting. I think i will stick with eating fish that i know i like....fish that eat other fish as part of their diet .

Rolmops , did you eat them because they were real tasty, or because there was not to many other kinds of fish available?

icedd...are they really good smoked? You said the smoked St. Lawrence carp was better than a smoked salmon!!.....is that a dark, old, mushy salmon that was caught in November from a Lake O trib......or a salmon caught in july out in the lake ?Just wondering......steve

I ate it because my grand parents who came from Europe always prepared it for special holiday meals. We also ate it because it was part of a staple diet.

Did I like it ?. Let's just say there are worse things to eat.

On another note, bullhead and other types of catfish are very popular in our own USA and they eat the very same diet that carp eat

Oh ! and pickled carp chunks.......really fine watching UFC with a plate of the carp, dark rye, mustard and a Canadian ale !! Almost as gourmet as Sauteed venison kidney with roasted peppers and home fries .....gotta go and deep fry some LT collars with a dill mustard. I think braised Lamprey soon. Life is good and even better with pickled polyporus frondosi or sauteed with EVOO and a dash of Noilly Pratt. Oh. MAN

Oh ! and pickled carp chunks.......really fine watching UFC with a plate of the carp, dark rye, mustard and a Canadian ale !! Almost as gourmet as Sauteed venison kidney with roasted peppers and home fries .....gotta go and deep fry some LT collars with a dill mustard. I think braised Lamprey soon. Life is good and even better with pickled polyporus frondosi or sauteed with EVOO and a dash of Noilly Pratt. Oh. MAN

Now you got me drooling over my keyboard,although instead of the noilly pratt I would go semillon ,its just a bit sweeter, and I have not seen woodhen in years.

Bake them on a soaked cedar board @ 300 degrees for 45 min, covered with sweet onions, parsley, lemon.

Once cooked, remove from oven, throw the fish in the garbage can, and eat the board.

yup, they do taste good dispite popular beleif....and that corn trick does work.......a guy named mark mcgrath came to motezuma last year and he is in the forefront of a new sportfishing following......japaneese bait companys sponser him and other fisherman....hook em up with hi tech gear and specially designed baits and many other perks, these guys go around upstate NY giving demos on how to catch clean and cook them to perfection....these fish pound for pound are some of thre hardest fighting frshwater fish people are just weary cuz they are bottom feeders.....if u saw how hot dogs were made ud prolly never buy a hoffman hot again......dont be so quik to judge.....there are lots of recipes that if i were to prepare and feed to an unexpecting person they would never guess it was carp..and they would like it untill i told em what it was then suddenly it tastes like ****....kinda the same with venison......ive fed it to people that swear they hate it telling them it wasnt deer and they loved it........its all in your mind...in fact they are worth some money if you know where to go with them......hint hint chineese resturants!!!!! think twice about that "baked salmon" next time ur in line @ the buffet!!!!!

Yes catfish and bullheads live on the bottom, along with a lot of other fish....but their diets and feeding style is not the same. I have caught a lot of bullhead and catfish on live alewives and shiners, suspended in deep water , while they were chasing schools of bait. We have trolled up catfish , that hit our spoons and plugs, while trolling for walleye and trout too. They love to chase and eat other fish , unlike the carp.

There must be a reason why carp is rarely seen on restaurant menu's here in America, or has to be held in ponds and fed corn for a week ,or heavily smoked , or ground into patties and heavily seasoned to be made palatable.

To each his own i guess....let me know if you try the baked carp recipe....i would like to know how you like it and how you would rate it.

• 3 weeks later...

I Bailey... Thats sure not their normal ,preferred food in most waters in new york state .And not their normal feeding behavior,..... hunting down and chasing baitfish. YOU may say they all carp, catfish and other fish that live near the bottom feed the same, but many others would say otherwise. You were probably fishing the fatheads with weight on the bottom or stationary under a float . Catfish all over NY State love to eat fish, any chance they get. One of the best ways to catch catfish is with cut/bait or live bait or jigging with a minnow. Have you ever caught many carp on minnows, or minnow imitations, like spinners ,spoons or stickbaits that were trolled or cast , and the carp had to chase and crush the lure? I'm not saying a carp would never eat a minnow/fish, but it is not their normal preferred diet. Maybe as the carp were sucking up debris, and bugs and muck and slime and rotted vegetation and eggs etc. from the bottom at Montezuma, your fatheads just got vacuumed up along with the other stuff by accident. Opportunistic.....yes.....but you said"they all feed the same"....no way.