Baked Carp anyone ???

choo-choo

had a friend back in the 70s that would drive to toronto to get carp for their christmas dinner. he was from europe, hungry i think. never tried it my self.dont catch many carp any way, but i might try it with enough beer handy. :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: :beer: :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Just caught this thread.... Saw something on one of the food channels about a year or two ago that kind of intrigued me. It was about a restaurant somewhere in Texas that was all about carp all of the time. All they did was prepare regular common carp (not the dastardly bighead and grass carp) in all kinds of ways. And this was no tiny whole in the wall; It had some size to it and the clientele raved about it. Now, I'm not all naive and gullible about stuff (others might not agree!), but I do believe these fish, if from clean waters might be tasty. I love to cook and have spent much of my life in the food industry and know a little of how, with great ingredients and and good technique mastery, this could b possible. As a kid, I tried cooking carp at home, as well as every other kind of fish; panfish (perch and sunnies) were the best. But the carp had possibilities. The Texas eatery might b found online; I forgot what show and the place name. I'm just sayin'... ;):beer:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Havent you ever seen Bottom Feeders? the Carp fishing industry is getting strong. its a win win if you ask me. they overpopulate and kill a lake if uncontrolled. Big export sale...

• 1 year later...

Wow! This was really "dredged" up....hey one spring fishing for perch, my buddy Mick fought a carp in Cranberry Pond for about an hour and a half on 6lb monofilament. While he was doing that a car pulled up and watched patiently to see Mick land the monster. As I help him get the fish on shore and snap his pic, the guy in the car comes out and stands there. Obviously non American. He says "Whatchu doo wid fish?"...ahhh ok, has Ukrainian accent...I said you want this? Then a big smile comes on his face. I suppose he fed his family on it....this carp that came from Cranberry Pond.

I Bailey... Thats sure not their normal ,preferred food in most waters in new york state .And not their normal feeding behavior,..... hunting down and chasing baitfish. YOU may say they all carp, catfish and other fish that live near the bottom feed the same, but many others would say otherwise. You were probably fishing the fatheads with weight on the bottom or stationary under a float . Catfish all over NY State love to eat fish, any chance they get. One of the best ways to catch catfish is with cut/bait or live bait or jigging with a minnow. Have you ever caught many carp on minnows, or minnow imitations, like spinners ,spoons or stickbaits that were trolled or cast , and the carp had to chase and crush the lure? I'm not saying a carp would never eat a minnow/fish, but it is not their normal preferred diet. Maybe as the carp were sucking up debris, and bugs and muck and slime and rotted vegetation and eggs etc. from the bottom at Montezuma, your fatheads just got vacuumed up along with the other stuff by accident. Opportunistic.....yes.....but you said"they all feed the same"....no way.

I had a 22lb. Carp take a husky jerk at night fishing top water over 20 fow. Thought it was the state record walleye for quite awhile. Lake Erie power plant.

• 3 months later...

Yeah I actually catch carp every spring fishing walleyes with large floating crankbaits and even rattle traps retrieved fast subsurface.  They hammer them pretty consistently actually that time of year surprisingly.  This hasn't happened just once or twice, I mean every single spring I would say I catch at least 4 or 5 like this.  They are a blast to fight on a 7' ML action rod with 8 lb test.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a buddy ice fishing for the first time a few years ago.  I drilled a hole and gave him a rod with a ratso jig with a spike.  I hadn't even started to drill a second hole and he is over there yelling What do I do? What do I do? I couldn't believe anyone would get that jacked up over a perch!  I went back to him and the reel is almost empty and still going!  After 30 minutes or so I finally see it and it was a carp. It took 10 more minutes to finally get it through the hole( it barely fit through a 8" hole). Probably weighed 15# or so.  Going by the spring cold water sucker theory we probably should have tried it?

• 3 months later...

I smoked a carp a couple of years ago and it was okay.  There is a "mud line" which is a DARK line of meat that runs laterally down the side.  This dark meat MUST be removed, as it tastes like .. you guessed it, mud.  Prior to filleting the carp I put it in fresh water and let it swim around for a day.  That step was suggested by an online recipe I found.  It is suppose to take the muddy flavor out of the meat.  The finished product was very fine grained, and not oily.  It tasted okay and had I not known it was carp, I'd have thought it was good.  Try something new.

• 2 months later...

Back when I fished the rivers for bass and eyes I caught several carp on black and gold spoons and spring  trolling in lake O I caught them on black and gold stick baits and the lures were in there mouths so the had to chase them.

Fishuntrapper,  funny your friend drove to Toronto to by corp when two of my friends from Fulton netted carp and stored them in ponds till they had a tanker truck full and then ship them to Canada. :puke:   That was in the seventies also.

I tried smoked carp, it tasted like any other smoked fish.

Edited by W.W.IV.

• 1 month later...

Carp  do NOT eat rotten nasty dead garbage like bullheads and cats do.. They eat mostly  insect larvae, they LOVE Crayfish as well and will eat vegetation, fish eggs, small fish, worms etc.. They don't eat dead, decomposed rot  as  catfish do... bob

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/coarse_fishing/carp/15156-ian_gemson_carp_eat.html