Charging Battery from a kicker

retsey

Hello guys, This is my current set -up.

150 hp tied into a Perko dual switch to 2 batteries.

I will be mounting a kicker (9.9T Yamaha) and need to tie in my riggers.

Question...will a 9.9 kicker really put out enough current to chage batteries. I was told you need to be really operating at high rpm's to charge a battery.

What would you suggest at the set -up to chareg both batteries. Should I take both riggers and accessories to battery #1 and use #2 as a back-up.

I do plan on installing a dual 6 or 10 amp on-board charger for when my boat sits a few weeks.

What do you think about the Minn Kota DC chargers to sharge battery #2?

Thank you in advance.

I've had 2 boats where I used the kicker to charge the batteries and I never had a dead battery. The first boat had a 9.9 4 stroke evinrude and the second had an 8hp 4 stroke yamaha. I had an I/O in the first boat and a 140hp outboard in the other.

It sounds like you have your stuff hooked right to the battery. I didn't do it that way. I ran a wire from the perko switch to a fuse block and tied in any electrical stuff there. At that point I tied the charging system from the kicker to battery 1. When I was running to and from the fishing spot I would run both batteries. As soon as I stopped I would switch to battery 1 and start trolling with the kicker. When I was done trolling I would switch back to both batteries and away I go. Never had a problem doing that. The nice thing about the fuse block is when the perko switch is off everything in the boat is dead (except the bilge which should be tied direct to the battery) that way there's nothing to kill a battery. Incidently I would troll sometimes 8-10hrs with 3 riggers, 2 graphs, gps, vhf, fm, lights ect. without a problem of low voltage. The kicker kept that battery charged all the time. The battery was a deep cycle battery as well.

Total Chaos

Thank You Total Chaos, Good information that I will fololow.

I did my a main 6 outlet fuse box based on another suggested from this site.

I will follow your suggestion about tapping off my Perko.

Question though.

What do you use battery #2 for ? mainly emergency back-up?

I was planning on running my Fish Hawk (temp/speed) direct to battery #2 becausr I just don't want any interferance since the unit is so sentitive.

I was planning on running my riggers to battery #1 that way is is charged continuously from the kicker. Your thoughts ??

So, when I wire my kicker ...where do I wire it to ??...battery #1 or to both #1 & #2?

One thing that I did with my Crestliner (that is currenty for sale) is I bought a high volume bilge pump with a 6' flex corrugated hose that I wire gator clips to as a back-up. I placed the pump at the lowest spot in. That way on emergency I can simply clip to a battery and start pumping. (PS, I did this soon after a friend of mine plugged his bilge with weeds during some aggresive waves and he had a heavy 4 stroke on his Crestliner waves were coming over the transom while trolling.)

This is the 2004 Crestliner with 90 & 15 hp yamaha's that is for sale in case anyone is interested.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

I would connect the kicker charger to the Perco and set it so it charges the battery that has all the auxiliary equipment such as downriggers and such,so that while it is using energy it also gets replenished. The main engine should have its own dedicated battery for starting and the main engine should charge both batteries while you are running that engine. That way you will always be able to start your main engine and your auxiliary deep cycle battery will get charged all the time you have an engine running.

As for battery chargers, a small Sears trickle charger will perform very well,give a good warranty and costs less than most "marine " brands. I have used a $27.99 Sears trickle charger (one and the same) for the past 8 years.

Happy new year and good luck next fishing season,Cornelis

As I said before, I don't run anything to the batteries except the bilge pump. Everything should go to the fuse block that's tied to the perko. That way if you have a short or something you're not killing your batteries when not in use. I hooked the charging wires from the kicker directly to battery 1. Battery 2 becomes a backup and or a starting battery for the main motor. As far as interference goes if you ground everything correctly you shouldn't have any. I've had 5 boats over my life, 3 glass and to Crestliners and I never had an interference problem with the fishhawk and anything else. Thru trial and error I feel this is the best way to wire it for reliability and longevity. Just my opinion.

Total Chaos

All good advice. My 9.9 yami high thrust runs three riggers, gps/fishfinder, lights, radios, washdown and even the laptop.. I knock knock have never had any problems as well. Also, I run deep cycles. Good luck!

Nick

Thank you Nick

As many have suggested and makes the most sense.....

I have purchased a 6 way fuse box and will plan on running 6 gauge from #1 battery to the panel

I believe will wire my main motor and kicker to the 2 way perko switch and run all off my #1 battery which will have everything wired to it. That way I will use #2 battery as a backup/emergency only. I will also use a 100 amp main breaker as secondary protection. Since there will be minimal connections to the battery.

However, I will run the bilge pump direct to battery #2.

I will also run my radio through a switch and run it directly to one of the batteries so I don't loose my pre-sets.

One last question ...is it okay to run my main and kicker motor direct to the Perko?

Is this good for the motors ?......another words ....will the current being discharged from one damage the other?

• 2 weeks later...

You still have it wrong! On the perko switch you have a common, you tie your battery's to your switch on "1" and "2" on the switch. Then you use a buss bar from your common leg on your switch, you run your main motor power and your kicker, and your fuse box off this buss bar. Normally you have two bus bars one for ground and one for power. Thats how you do it right! Your almost there. Your kicker will charge your battery's at trolling speeds no problem even with the draw your placing on it. I have much higher demand on my boat and it still charges the battery's.