Zinc anode

gokudl3

Im cleaning up my boat and doing some painting. I took the anode off the transom and there was a strip of something between the anode and aluminum, is it supposed to be clean between the anode and transom? Also the two bolts go through the anode and transom with nuts on the inside of the boat. When I took the old wiring out there was a ground connected to one of the anode bolts, which has eaten away the aluminum behind the ground. So now there is one hole about 1/4" and another about 1/2", could this be part of my corrosion problem?

Thanks Doug

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

The anode is suppose to disipate the electrical charge that builds on the boat. You must have a good clean contact between the ground wire, one of the bolts and the anode and the ground wire to prevent corrosion. What ever was between the boat and the anode was likely to seal the water out. I would use the 3m 5200 marine sealant between the transom and anode as well as in the bolt hols to keep water out. Sand off the anode to clean meatal where it is exposed to water and where it will contact the bolt with the ground wire. Replace of fix the ground wire. Make sure there is not corrosion on the other end as well.

• 3 weeks later...

There should not be any wiring connected to the hull of your boat. Your Magnesium sacrificial anode in fresh water is to protect every thing and should have a good continuity with what its protecting. There is allot written on this subject unfortunately many don't really understand how it works and only repeat what they have been told.

Run all grounds to a buss bar, and then ground the buss bar to the motor, if keeping the boat in the water you need a few precautions to keep your boat safe, but that depends on what you have on your boat as far as electrical.