copper planer boards

I know this topic has been around before. im looking for a good design for boards for pulling copper without using Otter boards. I have 2 sets of duals made from 1 x 8 cedar and they pull decent but wondering if anyone has any better designs. mine are 28" long offset with a 30* at the nose. I've seen designs for 1x6 boards and even triple boards. just looking for any ideas. trying to make it through the winter blues

Mike

'Bout Tine

I made my boards with 5/4 X 8, and I cut the noses with a 45 degree bevell, at a 30 degree angle. These boards pull hard and have no problem tracking with a 450' copper.

I think the difference is using the 5/4(1-1/4") thickness instead of the 1 inch. The 5/4 has more surface area at the nose causing more planing ability.

Also, I didn't use cedar. I just used 5/4 pine from Home Depot, painted the tops blaze orange, and then put on several coats of poly to help make them water resistant.

Total cost to make a pair, about 20 bucks.

I made my boards with 5/4 X 8, and I cut the noses with a 45 degree bevell, at a 30 degree angle. These boards pull hard and have no problem tracking with a 450' copper.

I think the difference is using the 5/4(1-1/4") thickness instead of the 1 inch. The 5/4 has more surface area at the nose causing more planing ability.

Also, I didn't use cedar. I just used 5/4 pine from Home Depot, painted the tops blaze orange, and then put on several coats of poly to help make them water resistant.

Total cost to make a pair, about 20 bucks.

Sounds about like the ones we've made.

I drilled a holes in mine to carry flags, to help other's to see 'em better.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the Amish Outfitter boards made from Azak. They are heavy and pull like hell. I have run two coppers on a side, and on Erie have no problem running four 50 jets a side. If you go with wood boards, DO NOT PAINT them. You want the board to suck up water and get heavy. It will make them pull better. Some of the worst looking wood boards pull the best.