Seneca 12/31/11

Had some great New Years eve fishing today on Seneca with my dad, his cousin, two of my girls and Jason who had just finished working all night. We had a great morning-- Lakers, Bows, and Salmon all good fish we only saved two Salmon for the grill and a few Lakers for Jason. Ran some new spoons from DW today and had great luck as well as some new Flies from Big Weenie. Had six on the boat so we had a chance to run a big spread :yes: Lots of other boats out trolling and perch fishing, surface temp was 41 down temp, at 50 was 42.5. Ran some new Mooching Rods and Reels on the riggers, they were alot of fun; a five pound salmon feels like a big king :D. I did get a few pics with the kids, most of the fish we let go at the back of the boat.

IMG_7871.jpg

IMG_78692.jpg

IMG_7868.jpg

IMG_7867.jpg

IMG_7865.jpg

Thanks for the report Sean, looks like a perfect winter? day to troll.The salmon eat really nice!!

Hope it stays like this for a while , I may venture out in the 16smoker if it stays warm.

Happy New Year all :D:beer:

Nice job!

I was there for the first time today and managed only one decent LL and a whole bunch of little buggers! Released them all safely, but was disappointed at our lack of success finding some larger fish.

We fished sticks, spoons, and flies 35 feet to 90 feet down, mostly oranges and greens, from 1.8 to 2.4 mph down speed, over 90 to 150 FOW. Hit both the west and east shore, but the screen looked a little better on the east side, so we put most of our effort there, from the south end up to Hector Falls.

Any recommendations for fine-tuning our approach for the next time?

Thx,

Mark

neighbor got a 5FT yes 5Ft mahi mahi in only 150 ft almost unheard of in that close in the winter,,some waho in 300 ft ...but the cold front and wind for the next week gonna shove the 73 deg water out a bit so today its my first day for lobster and fishing ....

First things first (wiffy says) 1030 am brunch before i play ,beach walk is done ,now ill rerig the rods for salt water ...temps fell overnight all the way to 72...almost had to turn the A/C on just to sleep..........................

life is good....

Anyone wanna come down toplay Ill get all the info ya need for some good time in paradice.

no life jackets on the adults must be a 24 footer!! i fished on cayuga saturday, solo, did 7 or eight fish most were lakers, little skippers not included in the count,(had to quit using sliders) R&R razor spoon in watermelon was good also the plastic thingy's in uv glow and green splatter. GOD bless and have a great new year rollie

a slider is a 2nd line add to the main line....it consist of a length from anywhere of 3 to 7 ft...with a barrel swivel on one end and a snap on the other...attach the barrel swivel on the main line and a snap swivel on the spoon.......its either fixed or slider....if its a fixed slider you drop the rigger down to 10 ft or so and clamp the barrel swivel to the main line, put on a rubber band with a half hitch and also clamp the ball swivel to the rubber band so it will not slide freely when you drop the rigger to the desired depth.....if its a free slider just drop your rigger to your desired depth clamp the ball swivel to the main line and toss the spoon in the water and the slider will drop to the bow in the line....

no life jackets on the adults must be a 24 footer!! i fished on cayuga saturday, solo, did 7 or eight fish most were lakers, little skippers not included in the count,(had to quit using sliders) R&R razor spoon in watermelon was good also the plastic thingy's in uv glow and green splatter. GOD bless and have a great new year rollie

From DEC

There must be a U.S. Coast Guard approved flotation device for every person on board any vessel, personal watercraft (PWC), canoe, kayaks and rowboats. If aboard a PWC, it must be worn at all times when the PWC is in operation. From November 1 to May 1, lifejackets must be worn by all persons on boats under 21', canoes, kayaks, rowboats while they are underway

Its under 21 ft for life vest

".if its a fixed slider you drop the rigger down to 10 ft or so and clamp the barrel swivel to the main line, put on a rubber band with a half hitch and also clamp the ball swivel to the rubber band so it will not slide freely when you drop the rigger to the desired depth"...

1. what "device do you use to "clamp the bbl swivel to the main line "?

2. what do you use to clamp the bbl swivel to the rubber band"?

Can you steer me to a diagram?

Thanks

So, NEO....lots of ways to skin a cat........I do it this way, and call it a cheater :

put the first lure up from the ball on a fixed release, say 4 feet up and10-15 feet back. and use a big spoon.

Let the ball down some 5 feet and half hitch a rubber band to the CABLE. take a 5 foot leader with a swivel and clip and attach the clip to the free loop in the rubber band... AND ALSO INCLUDE THE MAIN LINE IN THE CLIP.

On the other end of the leader attach a smaller lure of the same type and color as the one already out. This setup creates this condition: the larger lure is the predator with a smaller fish ( lure on the cheater ) within range and often will trigger a strike by another fish nearby. With the cheater fixed, this relationship remains until it is changed.

If a fish strikes the smaller lure on the cheater, the leader will break free from the band, then slide down on the main line to the release, pop it, and the swivel will end up stopped at the larger lure, and the fight begins.

AND because the cheater is held to the main line with the band, the bow in the main line is minimized, creating a fairly dependable hook set condition. affected only by the strength of the band.. ( hint, hint hint ). Too, this cheater fixing to the cable can be done without the lower lure for close- to- surface running of the second lure, say when you would like to be at 20 feet down and bumping bottom at 70 feet. SEE, ya don't even have too catch fish to have fun, a good sandwich, and some sun....Happy NY