St. Lawrence 8/12-8/18

No F*#$ing fish. That's the sign they should put across the river. I fished every nook and cranny on the american side using every trick and tactic in my tackle box and a few I picked up while I was up there. Caught nothing but tiny perch and gobies. A buddy of mine hooked a big smallie off of carelton island but lost it.

The kicker was the 40" muskie chillin in and around the docks at the marina for my campground. Wouldn't bite a damn thing. Saw a smaller 16" baby muskie monday afternoon, that one wouldn't bite either. Both were tempted with jigs and shiners to no avail.

And, just to pour salt in the wound, my last day of fishing was cut short. On the way out a big boat passed by us at a decent speed and caused the already 3 and 4 foot rollers to increase to 7 and 8. We hit the first one, came down, and I smashed my mouth on the wind shield, shattering 3 of the my front teeth and spending the next 3 hours in River View Hospital at A-Bay.

Man, thats a rough week. Especially the last part! I was also up there at the same time and I can pretty much confirm about the fishing. I did happen to do about a dozen smallies for the week off the shoals in front of Krings. And 1 small Pike in Goose bay Thursday when the river was too much for my boy. Certainly nothing to bragg about! Trying Hedges tomorrow!

Funny. My cousin's family just got back from a week at Wellesly Island yesterday and he, his father in-law, and his 2 sons (11 and 12) TORE-UP the smallies and had the pictures to show me. Crawlers on the bottom in 30-35 ft. Minnows and crawfish drew nothing but the crawlers lit em up. Conversly, my good friend also got back from a week in the islands yesterday and he reported the same as the previous posts. Fished his arse off and got 1 undersized smallie and his buddy got 1 small pike. Hmmm.