batteries

FREEMAN77

I run two batteries on my boat one for the bow mount trolling motor and one for the depth finder/starting the out board how often should I replace them I would rather be safe than sorry and stuck out on the lake I know there is no deff answer to this just an opinion would help.

That depends on many factors.

Stored indoors for the winter on a trickle charger and topped off after each trip out, I replaced mine after 5 years because they storred less charge. I had noticed that they were discharging more and more and didn't want to chance it, but they were still workable.

Cheap batteries die fast. Two years the time I tried one. Never again!

IMO pay close attention to them after 3 years of proper storage and use; hand cranking on the water of a large main motor is not going to be fun. (jumper cables and a spare are easier)

I'm glad somebody has time to remove ,charge & replace batteries every year but I don't. Have had up to 15 different sets of batteries in different pieces of seasonal equipment at times & have come to the conclusion that there is no set rules on these dam things and that they are all getting cheaper every year. Best rule of thumb is to get a battery that has near to the most cold cranking amps that will fit in the space provided. I use a battery til it acts not right (anywhere from 2 to 7 years). I like to keep a booster box around too but these things don't have an unlimited life either. Charge your batteries b4 you go out if it's been a bit and occasionally check your charging system with an inexpensive multimeter.I do keep the booster box inside & charged cuz I have equip & I fish all winter. I need to spend more time studying bow mount battery issues& don't have any real good advice on that except to start w/ a good one then charge it b4 & after use.-Andy

Very good info in the above posts. My experience has been batteries that are used and maintained regularly give the greatest life. We get great lifespans out of our deep cycle electric motor batteries, that we use all winter. These are discharged and charged on a regular basis with "smart chargers". Watch the water levels and corrosion at terminals, and as stated above, buy quality to start with-NO wally world stuff.