Cayuga Lake Prospects for the coming weekend?

Hi folks,

Glad to find such an active and interesting forum!

I just picked up a 9wt fly rig after christmas hoping to catch some steelhead & salmon in the fingerlakes region. I've fished a couple ontario tribs for steelhead with no luck and was thinking about doing some lake wading for salmon or trout. (I live in Auburn) I've been cruising the forums and see that taughannock seems to be a hot spot. I do not have a boat which leads to my question... Is the launch area at all conducive to wading this time of the year? I would love to hook up some salmonids but I'm sure I would be just as happy with pike... anything to get this new rig broken in 8) .

Was thinking that saturday or sunday would be good since the forcast is in the high 30s low 40s.. Will the fish be active in the shallows or should I be fishing deep... I do not have a sinking line but I can pick one up since I plan to do more lake/pond fishing in the ADKS this spring...

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :beer:

That seems like a pretty heavy set-up for trout. Usually an9wt is for striper or great lakes salmon. I bet if you went back to the smaller ontario tribs with a spinning set-up and fished floats with 4 lbs floro you would do a lot better. Or take a ride to Oswego and flog some water with your new rod. But wear a pfd!

I do also have a TFO 5wt BVK that I could use.. It's got plenty of backbone for big browns but I've never caught a laker or salmon with it.

My friend suggested I try shore fishing on the oswego behind the post office on route 48.

I will most certainly wear a pfd no matter where I go.

Thanks for the reply!

Some good fishing on the west side of the Oswego River too. Across from where you would be behind the post office. Both are good spots for fly fishing. Or take a ride to Pulaski...even better! If you want to stick to the finger lakes...take a ride to Ithaca. You can find some tribs to fish there. Might have to do some research on mapquest before-hand and scout around.

i was tied to the wall at taughannock on sat. finder was reading 9.2 ft. of water. don't think i would try wading there (LOL). water is gin clear to were you can see your flasher at 30+ ft. so i would go with a 9 ft. 2x floro. tippet. did see some fish busting bait in the shollows right on Crowbar point (inside the red can) 2-3 fow?? good luck and keep us posted. GOD bless rollie

Taughannock point drops off QUICK!!! You don't need much of an arm to throw a stone from shore into 100 + foot of water. fishing a streamer from the wall might catch you a Landlock or a laker.

Sounds good guys thanks for your insights

Heading up to Oswego tomorrow. Fished a little section of the Black River today while up in the northcountry on business. Threw out a big clouser eyed purple egg sucking leech and a black stone for about 45 minutes with no hits. A strong headwind was developing so I decided to call it a day.

Taughannok sounds like an adventure I may give that a try on sunday depending on how things go tomorrow and if the forcast stays warm.

Have a great weekend folks :beer:

Well I decided to bypass the oswego this morning and headed down to Milliken Station to try my luck there. Good news I caught my first LL on the fly! :clap: It was a nice 20 inch male, and he even did some acrobatics for me. What a rush! I hooked into him on about my 10th cast, and after about a dozen more I discovered that my waders are leaking like hell and decided to head home before I got chilled to the bone. Beautiful morning to be on Cayuga anyhow and finally got to hook into something with the new rig! :yes:

Putting the shotgun away and getting the rods out tomorrow. Planning to launch out of T-falls in the am. Anyone else going to be out? I have a new radio, I'd like to confirm is working. What channel are you guys on. Anyone have any suggestion as to where to start and with what. I have copper, leadcore, dr, and big boards. Thanks, Matt ....The Debander

lots of boats and shore fishermen out of taughannok park today. Very nice fishy day with the warmer temps and light winds early. Strong NW winds kicked up around 3pm. Good day on the water as landlock salmon were snapping at our trolled stickbaits. Looked like most boats were moving rods also.

caught three nice l.ls off the wall right in front of the marina @ sampson last week back to back after i gave up chasing wabbits, one of em was laying right on the wall..literally made a flub cast and i was reeling it in and i look down directly below me and this 4lb. l.l. attacks it with a fury....i never saw him toll my bait got within a few ft of the wall.......chrome and black sinking rapala stick bait on ultralight with 6lb test and a 15lb ultrafine 4inch wire leader.....just incase! all three fish jumped for me many times desperatly trying to shake the hooks out before i could reach down with my net to scoop em up!CRAZZZZY ENERGY in them lil terds