Best Color finder or Sonar for under $500.00

I am thinking about upgrading from my B&W Hummingbird 565 to something in color and is high def. I am not sure if this can be found for under $500.00 but just looking to see whats avaialble and what alot of the budget minded are using. GPS would be nice but from what I heard and read having both on the same unit is not good since it makes the screen smaller and if one goes then they are both no good. I can get away with using my hand held for another year. That purchase may come in 2013.

I would recommend a sonar/ GPS combo just because it is easier to install system upgrades. The sonar only units do not have a SD slot and you have to buy a special computer cable for upgrade downloads. The cost is about the same if you add the cost of the download cable. I bought a Humminbird 778 plus download cables plus adapter for USB port and ended up with more expense than just getting the 788 combo unit.

High Bidder

Looked into it and thought about it a little more. I'd prefer two separate units for a couple of reasons. Think I'll get the Garmin GPS this year and a Furuno fish finder the following year. Thanks for your response.