Dodger/Spindoctor questions

• 2 weeks later...

run the fly 22 inches behind your doctor or flasher and 25ft behind the boat , works good for me , a pro showed me that one and i cought fish right off the jump and have not stopped im doing so well im thinking of getting a captians lic, and a biger boat ! P.S the leader is very importiant ,too short and it will not get the big spin and too long it will be all over the place 22 seems too be just right for now !now go get a big one, john

i forgot to also tell you lurer speed is a must in my book are you useing a sub troll 900 or a fish hawk 840 or something like that ,that really is what got me on the fish , If your not going just the right speed youll just be cleaning them flys and never hook up , hope this helps ,john

I agree with you Tim. Maybe It's just a matter of having faith in what your using? We run all three (dodgers, spin doctors & e chips) almost all the time. Different times of the day, or different days all together get different results for me, but they all have thier moment in the sun. Our biggest fish this year came off the metal dodgers, while the most fish came off the spin doctors. It could simply be that I run more spin doc's than e- chips ?? I just love some of the color combo's dreamweaver is putting out.

Rod

I thought you only had to cut down the fin on the early production e chips that had the chip just glued on. The current e chips have the correct size fin on them, and the chip is in a holder, not just glued on. Thats what I have been told, or read somewhere.

Motoman,

To cut the fin, use a hacksaw and cut 1/4" off of the fin on the back side of the flasher (usually about 1/2 the fin). Take a file and file down the sharp edges so it does not cut your line. This is on the 8" models.

Diversion,

I cut down all of my fins even on the newer style. They run better with half the fin.

While your at it you can also cut a 1/4 in off either side of a NK 28 and it will let you run it at speeds of 4.5-5mph at the ball!

I have never had probems running chips at speeds up to 3.0 at the ball. They always catch fish! Oh I know, that must be a laker trick!

Guys - the answer for anyone not catching fish on flasher or flies is more than the set-up. Some of you guys run 5-7' leaders off the dipsey. That isnt getting your chip or spinny much action. Also on the rigger you can stretch those things out to 50 foot if need be. Make sure your fly leader is 20-22' on an 8" flasher and use color combos that are popular. To top it off make sure there are fish below you and you are fishing their depth. Somtimes the fish you see are inactive, so it doesnt mean the flasher of fly doesnt work. Fly's have taken 90% of my fish the past few weekends, but somedays they want white and others they want green. You got to give em what they want. Im no expert by any means, but I have never had to cut a chip to make it work and I stick with the colors that have produced for me in the past. For these colors go to the Atomik website and see whats hot or attheoak.com.

i was just curious on the trimming ive been doing everything on echips 8" and 11" and spin-Doctors all with flys of almost any green mix amd some on white , with purple, thanks gambler i will trim one up this week and do some compairing !

I have ran spinners all summer, even replaced them onto a rig that has been firing and NOTHING. Put the echip back on and bam.

Just like the other day, I could not buy a bite on white but green was firing while everything else was hammering them on white

funny how different boats fish differently, I catch fish all the time on spin doctors but cant buy a bite on an e-chip to save my life.

Tim

We run into hot and cold spells for lures and combos. last year's hot combo was a white glow SD and an white glow echip off the wire dipsys, this year is has been a poor performer for us.

Last year it was mostly a dipsy bite- they outfished the riggers two to one and this year is has been the riggers that have been hot and the dipsys that have been cold.

So how long are you running your dipsey's? 7 foot plus an 8 inch flasher with a 20-24 inch leader and you are about maxed out even with a 10 foot pole unless you have a very tall boat.

While your at it you can also cut a 1/4 in off either side of a NK 28 and it will let you run it at speeds of 4.5-5mph at the ball!

I have never had probems running chips at speeds up to 3.0 at the ball. They always catch fish! Oh I know, that must be a laker trick!

Guys - the answer for anyone not catching fish on flasher or flies is more than the set-up. Some of you guys run 5-7' leaders off the dipsey. That isnt getting your chip or spinny much action. Also on the rigger you can stretch those things out to 50 foot if need be. Make sure your fly leader is 20-22' on an 8" flasher and use color combos that are popular. To top it off make sure there are fish below you and you are fishing their depth. Somtimes the fish you see are inactive, so it doesnt mean the flasher of fly doesnt work. Fly's have taken 90% of my fish the past few weekends, but somedays they want white and others they want green. You got to give em what they want. Im no expert by any means, but I have never had to cut a chip to make it work and I stick with the colors that have produced for me in the past. For these colors go to the Atomik website and see whats hot or attheoak.com.