Bass pro salmon trolling forum?

indian

I know they canceled the one in the fall, just wondering if there are any plans to reschedule?

Don't really want to go out on Ontario blind looking for salmon in the spring. And I'm fairly sure its an awful lot different from Lake Huron.

Or if anyone with experience is interested in a ride along when we are ready to go, won't be until May or so.

Guys on here will have lots more info than you will probably get from one charter captain at a seminar. here's the basic game plan for salmonids on LO.

April- Brown trout and Cohos in shallow water w/ flatlines off boards, + an occasional King

May- West end of the lake (Wilson,Olcott,etc) depending on temps & wind (which moves around big masses of water) there may be some good early King fishing, Lakers & browns,cohos are often more dependable . On the East end (Sodus to Oswego), good King fishing is rare in May, most target browns that have moved deeper since April.

June- West end usually getting very good for Kings (Pt. Breeze "The Oak"),East end variable depending on whether proper conditions and bait are in place.

July-West end good (The Oak), East end usually getting predictable for Kings.

Aug- typically good east & west leading up to the stage/spawning (biggest fish of the year)

You might want to be planning to try & fish the Fingerlakes this winter thru March- then target browns on LO in April into May, then the Fingers again into June. Good Luck! -Andy

Thanks Andy,

We fish the Finger lakes mostly and would be bummed if we tow all the way up to Ontario for nothing. On Huron almost anywhere from the Thumb on down is good all year and the northern part after June....so the migration info you gave is a great help. What about depth and speed? We don't have a probe sooooo....have everything else(actually redundant everything else). Is it pretty obvious where the fish are by the "fleet" or is it far between boats? Any info would be great, thanks.

Up until mid summer when the weather stabilizes the water temps, the fishing is far from predictable. I would get a probe so you can hunt for the preferred temps of your target fish. Prior to stabilizing, in the west end (where I fish), the runoff coming down Niagara River and the many other tributaries combined with the variable winds makes it a constant search unless you are fishing everyday. Keep track of the weather patterns in the area you plan on fishing for a few days prior to making the trip and this should help in locating proper temps. No matter how much you think you have the fish figured out, there is always a chance of making that trip for "Nothing" when fishing for Kings. It's that challenge that makes it all worthwhile.

There is a few good seminars during Captain's weekend at Cabela's in Hamburg Pa. That's probably a lot closer. They are very informative, but like chowder said, you are not going to walk out of there after an hour knowing everything you need to know about how to catch them every time out on the water. I'll send you a PM.