.223 for deer?

711skwerlz

Could you hunt deer with a .223?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Could you hunt deer with a .223?

• YES
    • NO

.223 is designed to kill. round breaks up creating multiple woind channels. so a non lethal shot can be lethal. you breath heavy with taliban shooting rpgs at you. can you use it for deer hunting sure, would I? nope, if you want a ar platform get it in 22 250 or 308. if you want a lighter gun with a cheaper round go 30 30. if you want a deer rifle get a 270 or 7 mm. nice flat with plenty of knock down power

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 2 weeks later...

I shot my 1st deer with a 222 but it doesn't make it a good choice. I agree with Sean. The 7mm-08 is the ticket. Managable for a youngin and can be used the rest of thier life. Lots of projectile choices for custom load workups. It's also cocidered a 250yd gun. My 2nd gun was a 30-06 that always put a hurtin on me as a teen. We always practiced on woodchucks with what we hunted deer with. I near broke my shoulder on a laying down shot at a woodchuck from shouldering it wrong. 7mm-08 has great ballistic numbers and trajectory and managable recoil. It is the caliber I choose to rebarrlel my 8mm mauser if I ever do it.

• 2 weeks later...
.223 is designed to kill. round breaks up creating multiple woind channels. so a non lethal shot can be lethal. you breath heavy with taliban shooting rpgs at you.

Sorry but military application calls for a wound as better than a kill.....kill= one man out of the fight....wound= at the least three out of the fight. Real life isn't a video game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well, 223 243 they all work with minimal recoil... but if you want a caliber with no recoil that will stop a deer better than any other caliber mentioned at the low recoil level...it IS a 25-06. no need to upgrade with age. just perfect already for youths and adults alike. long range capable as well. westerners already know that but out east the word is not out yet but try one and thank me later.

.223 is designed to kill. round breaks up creating multiple woind channels. so a non lethal shot can be lethal. you breath heavy with taliban shooting rpgs at you.

Sorry but military application calls for a wound as better than a kill.....kill= one man out of the fight....wound= at the least three out of the fight. Real life isn't a video game.

since I logged 3 deployments with the 173rd airborne I must of been wrong shooting to kill. I don't play video games. I was too busy dodging 107's and pkm's. But thanks for the tip.

I've done some research on this and know it will start an argument and there are better choices. I'm just looking for some of your opinions. My littlest brother will be old enough to gun hunt soon and really likes the .223. Bullet style and size will be a factor all shots will be under 150 yds most being under 80yds. Any suggestions or experience with this would be great. I do handload so custom ammo is an option.

A 223 will work fine I have seen that cartridge blow threw a shoulder and out the other side of a white tail ,at 100 yards, what the bullet lacks in grains it makes up for in speed.

Adam maybe he saw that on tv. I know every time I squeezed the trigger the last thing I wanted was to wound. Not to mention the 5.56 is not .223 it's a hotter load. And you would have to be an idiot to use a military or a fmj on game. But to go back to post with right bullet and right placement the .223 is extremely deadly on deer. I have used it and still do. Is it the best no but in the right place and with the right shooter it's plenty. And no it's not the only rifle I own, and yes I reload and shoot alot.

• 2 months later...

if you are using the ss-109 projectile (62 grain fmj boat tail) loaded milspec, shooting them in a (1 turn for 12 inches traveled) twist rate barrel is very lethal on game. ittle blast out the shoulder blade and keep right on truckin draggin lungs and guts right along with it. the projectile is too long and will not stabilize at that rate of twist and swings around violently(yawl). it makes a nasty hole. shoot the same 62 grain boat tail 556 milspec through its designated twist rate, (1 spin for 9 inches traveled) same shot placement, and you get a running dead deer with a pinhole poked in em. if you have to use a 223 or 556 theres ways to improve...nosler makes a 60 grain partition projectile, winchester makes a 64 grain standard load with large game in mind, but none compare to the M-16A1(1-12 twist)using a ss109 projectile. i would limit myself to head and carefull neck shots if using normal factory loads and or varmint bullets.

• 1 month later...

The question is can. Yes you can but would I? No. I have much better rifles for taking larger game. The smallest I would use is .243 or 6mm (same bullet different cartridge.) The .243 is a easy 300+ yard gun and is perfect for small kids and women.

The shotgun deer slug is inaccurate, so to reduce flying missiles in the woods we woke up to use a rifle. A lot less shooting going on now.

Your joking right? My shotgun shoots just as nice as my rifles. If your taking hail-mary shots with a shotgun you don't deserve to be hunting.

Use the correct tool for the job.

Slug guns are deadly. I shot two bucks last year about 10 feet apart from each other. They were on a full out run and they both dropped immedately and did not get back up. Both were shot through the lungs. When I went to gut them the entire chest cavity was nothing but liquid.

a 20gauge autloader with a rifled barrel, and open rifle sights would be my choice.