US DOT #s on pick-ups

rapala

Recreational trailers are exempt from the DOT requirement here in PA. But any truck over 10K is required to have a DOT no. and a combination license if pulling a commercial trailer. ie. skid loader, mini trackhoe etc. I only know of trucks with a GVWR of 12,500# getting fines in NY for not having a DOT no.

High Bidder

The US DOT# only applies to vehicles over 26,000 gvwr. It has only to with those vehicles used in interstate transportation FOR HIRE. You may have your business name on a pickup truck as long as it's not for hire transporting cargo or passengers for a rate. There is no state regulation unless the vehicle is over 26,000 lbs gvwr. However if the boat you own is over 102 inches wide or over 70 feet in total length of the combination you should apply for an oversized permit to be compliant. Also the gvwr takes into account the hauling vehicles registered weight AND the trailers registered weight in combo. IE... the truck could be registered 10,000 and the trailer registered 8000 making the combined gvwr 18,000 lbs.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Since 2008 or so, any vehicle with a total or combined weight of 10,00 used for business purposes must be registered with USDOT and have DOT numbers on the side. Wonderful new law designed to generate revenue.

The US DOT# only applies to vehicles over 26,000 gvwr. It has only to with those vehicles used in interstate transportation FOR HIRE. You may have your business name on a pickup truck as long as it's not for hire transporting cargo or passengers for a rate. There is no state regulation unless the vehicle is over 26,000 lbs gvwr. However if the boat you own is over 102 inches wide or over 70 feet in total length of the combination you should apply for an oversized permit to be compliant. Also the gvwr takes into account the hauling vehicles registered weight AND the trailers registered weight in combo. IE... the truck could be registered 10,000 and the trailer registered 8000 making the combined gvwr 18,000 lbs.

Mark

This is the same information my nephew was told by a NYS trooper last month.

Carp,

Not sure what the trooper told your nephew, but I own a contracting business. Three years ago I got a notice from DOT that all my vehicles over 10,000 or having a combined weight over 10,000 pounds had to be registered. I had to register my business with DOT, pay some fees and also register every vehicle that meet the requirements and place numbers on them. All my employees are now required to pass a DOT physical every year and are issued a card stating such. Everyone is also required to keep log books and vehicle inspections, exactly like the big rig Skipper describe in his post. I don't think a lot of smaller business know about these laws yet. But they are in effect. If your really interested I could email you copies of regulations. I have been run through the ringer over this whole DOT B.S. Sent 2 days in a class just going through how to document all my employees physicals, log books, paperwork etc. Only cost me a few grand, again government making it so nice for small business. The bonus is having to stop at every DOT checkpoint if your combine weight is over 10,000 when you see one. Not trying to tell anyone they are wrong, but I have way to much experience with this. I have no idea how this would effect a charter captain hauling their boat down the road, something that might be worth looking into if you were a captain doing much towing.

It is true that the vehicle in use for business with a business name on it no matter what weight it is must have DOT # displayed. However it must be doing for hire hauling of a cargo and be insured as a carrier with coverage as such for doing business. That being said, it goes back to if you are displaying a business name on your pickup, van , livery, farm, ag, commercial, plated vehicle, you better then have a DOT # diplayed there as well.

The question of a commercial plate on a pickup hauling a personal boat comes down to if the vehicle displays a business name for hire on it. Even a taxi or a four wheeled van hauling one package for a rate must have dot reg. What Kieth said is right. He is using those vehicles for business, and that places a whole set of rules that are regulated by the federal motor carrier safety administration. It is like he said a revenue grab for the state of Ny if you conduct business for hire with those commercial plates.

Just keep the business name off the vehicle. If it is a half ton and the unladen weight is 5500 or less get it plated passenger. The rules are fuzzy about pickups as a passenger vehicle. On one hand they call it commercial if it is over 5500 unladen weight but on the other hand if it has seats behind the driver seat as in a extended or crew cab they say it can be a passenger class.

I wonder if the dmv is a division of the irs.....crazy.

Bottom line I wouldn't worry if its a personal vehicle and its a recreational endeavor. No names, not over loaded or oversized.

If the boat is in business and it it yours ..on your trailer...hauled by your diesel one ton...and the boat has a charter name on it with a phone number or http://WWW.whatevercharter.com or e mail..you are advertising for hire.

The right dot cop wearing a baseball cap will probably gouge you on the dot reg. If It's just a boat name ..no inc., dba, LLC. and no advertising permanently applied, then you would probably not get a second look. Unless the above mentioned over dimension problems exist.

It is true that the vehicle in use for business with a business name on it no matter what weight it is must have DOT # displayed. However it must be doing for hire hauling of a cargo and be insured as a carrier with coverage as such for doing business. That being said, it goes back to if you are displaying a business name on your pickup, van , livery, farm, ag, commercial, plated vehicle, you better then have a DOT # diplayed there as well.

The question of a commercial plate on a pickup hauling a personal boat comes down to if the vehicle displays a business name for hire on it. Even a taxi or a four wheeled van hauling one package for a rate must have dot reg. What Kieth said is right. He is using those vehicles for business, and that places a whole set of rules that are regulated by the federal motor carrier safety administration. It is like he said a revenue grab for the state of Ny if you conduct business for hire with those commercial plates.

Just keep the business name off the vehicle. If it is a half ton and the unladen weight is 5500 or less get it plated passenger. The rules are fuzzy about pickups as a passenger vehicle. On one hand they call it commercial if it is over 5500 unladen weight but on the other hand if it has seats behind the driver seat as in a extended or crew cab they say it can be a passenger class.

I wonder if the dmv is a division of the irs.....crazy.

Bottom line I wouldn't worry if its a personal vehicle and its a recreational endeavor. No names, not over loaded or oversized.

If the boat is in business and it it yours ..on your trailer...hauled by your diesel one ton...and the boat has a charter name on it with a phone number or http://WWW.whatevercharter.com or e mail..you are advertising for hire.

The right dot cop wearing a baseball cap will probably gouge you on the dot reg. If It's just a boat name ..no inc., dba, LLC. and no advertising permanently applied, then you would probably not get a second look. Unless the above mentioned over dimension problems exist.

quote]

This is correct! Confirmed by my neibor who is the DOT cop for the city of Syracuse. Exactly why I would never put Charter on the side of my boat if I was towing it on the highway.