battery set for electronics

Roughrider IV

Rigging my boat for trolling next spring and would like opinions on hooking up riggers,depthfinders, accesories to 2 batteries with a perko switch. I'm running a 140 suzuki 4 stroke too troll with and no kicker. I figure to use one battery for these and the other for the main engine. Which position do I put the perko in while fishing or running? I would think both while I'm fishing and running. Thanks for any help.

Roughrider out

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

There are different Perko switches. One has an altermator disconnect switch in it which allows you to change batterys while the engine is running. You will blow the diodes on your alternator if you switch it with the engine running unless you have that option.

• 2 weeks later...

You should wire you boat using buss bars after the switch. You use a Main battery and don't switch it unless there is a problem, the "main" battery can either be 1 or 2 and it can change each time you go out, but the wiring from the switch "common" should go to a buss bar/ fuse box and be distributed from there. Don't use the switch to distribute power its not made for that neither is its purpose for that.

You normally don't run the switch on both, just the main battery for that day, if you have a problem you can then switch to the back up battery as what the switch is intended for. The only time you run on both is if you have a problem, deplete a battery, discover problem and fix it, can verify your charging again, then switch to "both" when motor is off, restart and charge departed battery. But even then once your depleted battery is back "up" you should make a switch again.

At the dock you test and charge (or test for charge) on both battery's before going out. Then you decide what battery your going to run on, and switch it to that battery before starting anything. You leave it there until your back at the dock again and then when everything is off, you switch it to off, until the next time your ready to go out and you repeat the process. Don't rely on your switch to fix a problem that can be discovered at the dock some people think thats what a switch can do for them.

There is a product out there now that has a charging sensor, that monitors the battery's and after the main battery is fully charged will "shunt' the charge over to the "house" battery's. its pretty slick and works great. Its a separate piece that comes with the switch and install in line with the start battery. This is what most guys should be getting and setting there boat up with a start battery and house battery. It lays out better and will work much better.

Rigging my boat for trolling next spring and would like opinions on hooking up riggers,depthfinders, accesories to 2 batteries with a perko switch. I'm running a 140 suzuki 4 stroke too troll with and no kicker. I figure to use one battery for these and the other for the main engine. Which position do I put the perko in while fishing or running? I would think both while I'm fishing and running. Thanks for any help.

Roughrider out

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The simplest way of doing this is with a Blue Seas product called Add-A-Battery. You can read about it here http://bluesea.com/products/7650 . It works fantastically on my boat for the past 4 years. It is also a good idea to add an onboard 3-stage charger you can plug in when on shore power or back at the barn.

Edd

You should wire you boat using buss bars after the switch. You use a Main battery and don't switch it unless there is a problem, the "main" battery can either be 1 or 2 and it can change each time you go out, but the wiring from the switch "common" should go to a buss bar/ fuse box and be distributed from there. Don't use the switch to distribute power its not made for that neither is its purpose for that.

You normally don't run the switch on both, just the main battery for that day, if you have a problem you can then switch to the back up battery as what the switch is intended for. The only time you run on both is if you have a problem, deplete a battery, discover problem and fix it, can verify your charging again, then switch to "both" when motor is off, restart and charge departed battery. But even then once your depleted battery is back "up" you should make a switch again.

At the dock you test and charge (or test for charge) on both battery's before going out. Then you decide what battery your going to run on, and switch it to that battery before starting anything. You leave it there until your back at the dock again and then when everything is off, you switch it to off, until the next time your ready to go out and you repeat the process. Don't rely on your switch to fix a problem that can be discovered at the dock some people think thats what a switch can do for them.

There is a product out there now that has a charging sensor, that monitors the battery's and after the main battery is fully charged will "shunt' the charge over to the "house" battery's. its pretty slick and works great. Its a separate piece that comes with the switch and install in line with the start battery. This is what most guys should be getting and setting there boat up with a start battery and house battery. It lays out better and will work much better.

Incredibly well said. I am sure you clarified the battery switch concern for many members.