how big do they get in cayuga????

I have a newspaper (some debate if the Ithaca Journal is really a newspaper) clipping from May 5, 1995 featuring a 18.35 pound brown caught by David Corina. The story quotes DEC Senior Aquatic biologist Tom Chiotti: "That's easily the biggest ever from Cayuga Lake". David's fish was 33 inches long and the girth looks to be almost that. He caught his trophy near where Cayuga Inlet enters Cayuga Lake.

Years later there was a story about another 18 pounder caught by Jack Fulton, but I can't find it. His fish was caught from a dock on a spoon. It was chasing a tasty school of 12 inch landlocks when he hooked it.

Your brown is certainly a nice catch, especially on a fly rod. By the way, I don't think DEC has stocked seeforellens in a decade or so, I doubt yours is that strain.

ohhh it definitly is........itwas silver as silver can be and the marking were nothing like a european brown which is "native" to these waters......i thawt it was a l.l. because of the markings and the chrome.....till i looked at the tail....squared out.......ive shown this and another pic to alot of guys and weve all come to the same consensus.......its a seeforellen.....ill bet a paycheck on it., or in my case an unemployment check cuz im laid off for the winter.

zee.jpg

heres another pic up close....i kept the ol' boy cuz he engulfed my fly big time....had two sublegal l.l.s i let go that day dead drifting giant mealworms with the ultralight.....aes is a tresure trove if u know what they want!

Two summers ago we fished one of the tournaments and I assumed I had a 1st place LL but it didn't look right. Upon weighing it in with Barney, it was determined to be a seaforellen brown. Still was worth a few bucks but in the brown category it was not a 1st place fish. They are out there just few and far between.

I never really knew much about the seaforellen brown trout but this thread got my interest up.

For those that want a good read, here is a good article from 1989 in the New York Times that gives some history of the seaforellen brown trout and it's presents in NY State.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/20/sport ... all&src=pm

Nice fish Irish' 8)

Nice read Stinger :yes: Thats what I was told they were fin clipped, and have not been stocked in years. I doubt if any are in the Finger Lakes now days. And if they were they would be old as dirt and big. I bet a few 20lb browns are out swimming around Cayuga. Sean

awsome article......yea im still 100% on my assumption...its a seeforellen......markings are nothing like a regular european brown.....when i pulled it outa the water it was so damn silver i swore it was a l.l. the dog mouth and the tail gave it away tho......idc what the dec says they are in the lake........to this day. ive seen other pics just nothing with ne size to it like mine.

I have a newspaper (some debate if the Ithaca Journal is really a newspaper) clipping from May 5, 1995 featuring a 18.35 pound brown caught by David Corina. The story quotes DEC Senior Aquatic biologist Tom Chiotti: "That's easily the biggest ever from Cayuga Lake". David's fish was 33 inches long and the girth looks to be almost that. He caught his trophy near where Cayuga Inlet enters Cayuga Lake.

Years later there was a story about another 18 pounder caught by Jack Fulton, but I can't find it. His fish was caught from a dock on a spoon. It was chasing a tasty school of 12 inch landlocks when he hooked it.

Your brown is certainly a nice catch, especially on a fly rod. By the way, I don't think DEC has stocked seeforellens in a decade or so, I doubt yours is that strain.

here it is...

browntrout.jpg