Seneca river,montezuma....where its at during the dog days.

This is how you work in your drag for the steelhead in the months to come!....SRNY custom 10ft 8wt. steely rod and an okuma. stripping streamers under the dam....as well as the occasional bottom fishing rig on my custom 12ft browning six rivers and a pflugger president!.....hold on tight and palm the drag!!!!bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

carp on a fly rod has to be fun .Those fish pull hard for sure .I camped up near there several years ago and got into the carp on ultra lite gear out of a canoe . Might have to go back up there now that I have a real boat . How is the catfish action on the river/canal ?

if you have a small john boat or deep v and a fishfinder......awsome....go downstream from the baitshop towards the canal and look for bends in the river.......anchor up inside the bends and jug fish for em or setup bottom rods with meat....lots of bigguns....often in the spring i catch them right under the dam too on fatheads riger near the bottom......ten or fifteen lbs isnt unheard out there......last year a drum was caught out there that missed the state rrecord by less than a pound!......that fishery is amazing b/c it eventually connects to the st. lawrence. so anything could be in there.......sturgeon,walleye,crappie,bowfin,garr,smallys, largemouth,perch, gills,bullheads,cats......prolly forgeting a few......at the right time of year with the right bait nething is possible.

same salmon different day i guess....some guys are contempt doing the same thing over and over.....its interesting and fun to go to a place like mays point, throw some burgers on the grill put some rods in the water and just wait for the drag to scream......the best part is u never know what ull catch.......momma always said life is like a box of chocolates!!!!!

same salmon different day i guess....some guys are contempt doing the same thing over and over.....its interesting and fun to go to a place like mays point, throw some burgers on the grill put some rods in the water and just wait for the drag to scream......the best part is u never know what ull catch.......momma always said life is like a box of chocolates!!!!!

I agree, I like perch and walleye for the table, Big Northerns through the ice, and trout and salmon in the spring and fall, but I hit the Seneca 4-6 times a spring just to see what will hit some raw shrimp, and its usually something big

they taste good, i will fillet the lil ones under a pound or two like you would a perch.....white meat. the big ones i bring to the chinks, they use the otoliths for some black magic or sumptin and they looove to eat them...i used to bring them carp but when they got a bucket of drum in their sink they wont even take carp nemore they want the drum's.....im also researching the jewlrey making market for them , out west its a big hit with some native tribes and earth cookies......good hhobby to get into if ur crafty.....pays for my bait and gear!

The drum do taste good - you just have to keep them on some ice before you fillet them - the flesh reminds me of saltwater fish like saltwater drum or triggerfish I have eaten- just cut out the bloodline - it is very good blackened - It is a dry fish so you don't want to overcook it. Everyone has to get over the trash fish issue - it fights good and tastes good - its not a perch but it is every bit as good as many other fish that I have supped on ........hey - its just just not the most beautiful fish in our area but your eating it - not kissing it. If I blackened it and put it next to some red beans and rice - no one would ever believe its a drum. If you got one this time of year, it would be unbelievably good out of the cold water. Only reason I know all of this is that I contemplated eating one for 20 years and finally did it last year and was very impressed.

fianlly someone who knows the truth like "I"......lol yeah they taste great its all in the presentation....if u know how to cook like a SuChef u can make nething taste good, not that id try...but these drum' do have great white meat on them........and idk where everybody else catches them but in montezuma im catching them pre and post spawn and they are beutifull......very colorfull under the light.....the babys look like aliens witht heir big' ol eyeballs.....