Broken Lead in a leadcore

mdryer

I wouldn't play with heat shrink at all. The heat could weaken the dacron. You're better off just leaving it. My lead cores have a few spots like that, and I've had zero problems with it.

It's like anything else in this game, good drags go a long way.

Mine (#27) have spots where they have poked out throught the sheath and have been fine for large fish, I have faught browns in spring with lead sticking out of the sheath, (land em then fix the lead....) if it is frayed up alot in that area or if the sheath is visibly damaged then you have to look at it a little closer.

Are you close to a knot? If it is damaged and you are close to a knot, you should retieing.

If you are talking about 1/2 a color in on a short rig, might be worth removing a full color for a shorter short core. (4 color is now a 3 color)

If it is midway on a 10 color and the damage to the sheath is visibly disturbing to you, you gotta go with your instinct.

j

You can just splice in a foot of Mono ,with a willis knot on each side of the splice . (use mono of same # test or a little heavier break strength....for ex. 30 # mono for 27# leadcore) . In a pinch, out on the water for a quick repair,I've also just cut out the bad section ,removed a little lead, and blood knotted , or back to back clinch knotted, the sheath together.

If the area of leadcore sheath is in good condition AND the area of "missing" or broken lead is only a small area, i have just super glued the sheathing area. MAKE SURE GLUE is dry before you wind back unto reel -know it shouldn't have to be said but then again...

hope this helps.