Help with new gear for Canandaigua

tannero

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and trolling as of last year.

I have a pontoon boat and I'm trying to learn to fish trout in Canandaigua. I need a little help with my next investment for gear. Here's what I have so far and I'm wondering what I should get next:

I have a single Scotty Downrigger (love this thing)

One Seth Green rig (great also)

What should be my next setup for trout on Canandaigua? I've messed around using Dipseys on spare rigger rods but it only works so-so with mono.

Should I get a wire setup and run Dispeys sort of the "right way" for a third setup to run?

Should I invest in planer boards first or are they really just for spring and browns?

Torn on what to get next...

Where is a good place to get hooked up with gear? I bought my Seth Green from Sutton's and thought they were really good and hooked me up. Not sure if they'll have a setup for running wire for me but will make a trip tomorrow to see. I like to try and shop with locals if possible but I can go to the big boxes if need be.

Thanks in advanced for any advise on another setup to run guys..

Hey Tcon

- thanks for the lead core suggestion. Wasn't even sure what lead core was so I did a little investigating and looks like it's a way to get down deeper and with better line performance without using a rigger or dispey. Only drawback I read about was the amount of line and muscle to get it reeled in. I might not have it right yet but that's what I gathered from my reads on the internet. Does sound like an option. Was wondering how guys fished 8 color - never added up, now it does.

Neo - yes, my scotty is electric.

It's tough to do a lot of rigging on a pontoon as there aren't any sides or transom so I'm limited until I can get a real fishing boat!