Tightening the screws

camomanbg

I fish on a Boston Whaler 20' Outrage. The rails around the bow and the console are loosening up because the screws are pulling out of the fiberglass. What do you suggest as a remedy? I was thinking about using metal anchors and new screws for the metal to fiberglass and then just using a slightly larger threaded screw for the metal to metal points. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

If the screws will "snug up" at all I've had success using 3M 5500 sealant on the threads as a thread lock and then be careful not to overtighten the screw. Stops them from loosening up from vibration and works as an adhesive on the threads.

If you use any replacement hardware (anchors, ect) make sure they are stainless

Just mix up a little glass with the cloth threads in it and stuff it in the hole and put the screw back in? it works with wood when you put toothpicks is a hole with some glue.

I have a '66 Corvette which is of course fiberglass. In certain areas like door or interior trim parts the screw holes in the fiberglass can get stripped and lose their hold. I have used the PLASTIC dry wall anchors for certain trim parts and their screws. Plastic anchors on a boat would not rust of course.

Dennis :beer:

Most likely they have a nut and washer under the gunnel as screwing into fiberglass with out backing is a recipe for disaster on a load-bearing item. You might need to get a second hand to hold the nut while you tighten topside into new bedding caulk or 3m 5200 adhesive.

If you cannot access the underside, sometimes you can pin the nut against the underside of the gunnel by pulling up on the loose fixure ( to keep it from spinning) while tightening the screw topside.