Reel for Wire

KennyC

I'm looking to replace the reels on the dipsey wire rods. Reading all the reports that I can and see some say it's not a good idea to spool wire onto an aluminum spool. So I'm not finding a heavy duty line counter without an aluminum spool. Anyone had any problems with the compatibility of wire on an aluminum spool?

I'm considering:

Diawa SG47LCX

Penn 320 GTiLC

Shimano Tekota

They will be used in saltwater, also. What's your favorite reel for wire?

Thanks

Most saltwater wire reels are chrome over brass spools.(Penn hsp, old Penn Mariner 49l, Diawa 400hw)They are conventional reels (no level line).They use Monel wire.They mark the wire every 100ft. it has a sink rate of 10 to 1 every 100ft. will get you down 10ft.You can use a line counter with alum. spool just use braided line.

There is a common mistake of referring the the process of galvanic corrosion as electrolysis. Technically, electrolysis is a process used to drive a chemical reaction that would not normally occur. In galvanic corroision, a less noble (anode) metal will corrode when in contact with a more noble (cathode) metal in the presence of an electrical current. That is the concept behind sacrificial anodes on boats. The process is that the anode (less noble metal - aluminum spool) will disolve into the electrolyte (saltwater) and deposit onto the cathode (more noble metal - stainless steel wire) in the presence of direct current. So, you could reasonably expect to clean and dry your reels to prevent galvanic corrosion. Another technique would be to isolate the metals and that could be accomplished by application of an anti-corrosion spray such as BoeShield or CRC.

• 1 month later...

I have both the tekota and the saltist. I dont think one is better then the other. The drags on the tekota are fine just as good as the saltist. The problem with the saltist is the line counter that is jammed into the side of your arm. Try both before you buy one they are both good myself Im going to keep the tekotas. ALso the okumas are a great reel for alot less money.

I love the Saltist, I have tryed several, and they are my go to reel. I would like to have all my reels work as good, the higher gear ratio is priceless for wire in my opinion. I would never by a reel again for wire thats not a high speed regardless of make. If you fish much and reel that wire in much then the high speed becomes even better.

I have a Tekota but its not high speed so I dont like it on the wire, I have it on copper and would not do it again. Othere than that its a nice reel but I fish alot, and I like running on New York time (fast) when it comes to pulling lines in.