Reel Idea

Question for those of you who run rigs along the finger lakes. What type of reel do you use, that is capable of handling the weight of your set up? I have used Penn 49's for years and they can not handle the weight to the sinker and leaders even without a fish. I thought maybe my reels were old and purchased 2 new ones which were not much better than my older ones. Any insight that you can give?

Thanks

Tim

lol...sum of us dont like to spend all that money.....im a minimalist....why spend ur life savings to buy the big boat and all the fancy gear when u got the sixth sense! joking!!!....but i just cant forsee spending all thatdough on downriggers and balls and flashers and dodgers and flies and meat rigs and j plugs and see where im going with it...people get more caught up in the gear than they do the FISHING..... u dont have to slaughter them, with percise accuracy and presentation every time out to be having a good time....sometimes keeping it simple is more fullfilling cuz then u feel like u caught the fish...not your gear! but hey thats my opinion. and i just like to know im catching how my forefathers did!!!!With a record player...lol

Not sure if they are called a seth green rig or not. I have fished with them for over 30 years in the finger lakes. Its a 16oz sinker attached to the mainline with 5 swivels. You add or remove your leaders using spring clips as you let out /bring in the main line. This way the main line with swivels stays on the reel.

I have a Penn international but thats like using a winch and the Penn 49's are not capable (they get the job done with a lot of frustration) of handling the weight even if there are no fish on.

You just described a Seth Green Rig.

A good reel to use would be a Penn Senator 12 or 13,combined with a heavy duty rod you will have your meat rig. The best thing would be a working old Victrola box.

The problem with your type of fishing is that it is so efficient that you will catch your limit within the first 45 minutes

Cornelis

lol....true dat. only disadvantage of the seth rig is u dont get as good of a fight.....i dont run it off my victrola but i have tried....i just like to run copper to some dacron or braid 50'lb test then tie on a keel weight 2 or 3 ounces and then mono leader for shock absorbancy, then put a sutton on the end and ur golden...they love that presentaion. and if ur good or ur copper is marked every 25 feet or so u can get it newhere in the watercolumn.=more fight on a single spoon run in line....the keel weight just makes it so i dont need as much copper out. it gets old pulling in 4 or 5 hundred feet of copper to get ur fish...more dangle on the angle with the keel weights.

dave neone ever tell u ur a funny guy!.....lol dont be jelous! They call me the trout whisperer.....my cunning additiude and sixth sense on the H2o can bring them right to the transom, some days i just go out with a harmionica and a net....U big lake guys gota spend a pension fund or two to buy all that gear and it still dosnt put em on the boat some days! i thawt venison was getting expensive to eat with all the dec fees and butchering cost.....i dont want to know how a $20,000.00 salmon tastes in thre smoker, cant be to satisfying.!! :lol: j-k

Irish - you really got to get yourself a job...

LOL!!!

Poverty- I have a reel/rod for sale that would be great for you. I have about 5 rig rods that I do not use.. great grand dad I will keep but two of them I bought and do not use anymore because I spent my life's savings on a boat and gear.. contact me

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

hey im trying, im a union electrician, got laid off in early december cuz i worked myself out of a job......literally no more work in my territory.....every winter this happens cuz our economy is in the dumps....theres nothing i can do i gota sit back and wait for the hall to call....cant recruit my own work asper my contract......so im stuck sitting it out and goin fishing every day stimulating the economy with my unemployment check!......

i try and do as much side work as i can get but its been rough this winter...ima trained arborist and i climb trees so the few tree jobs ive rounded up this year have helped alot, just gotta be careful cuz i cant be puting to many checks in the bank or the state will be after me! cash is good tho! .....nebodys got some trees they need trimmed or taken down nows the time of year to do it, no leaves and trimming now is much healthier for the trees, as they are dormant.