copper set up

New to the site and new to fishing,last year was my first full year of fishing and I am thinking about adding a few things,ive read a lot about the copper you guys are running,as a new guy what would you recomend as far a brand of copper and weight,it sounds like theres a lot to choose from,ive got some gift certificates to gander that I planned on using for rods and reels and maybe a wire dip set up. The boat I bought came with a bunch of rods and reels and some lead core,what would you recomend for a beginning set up.

Thanks Tom

Gander has A-tom-mik 45 lb copper. Start with a 300' or 400' length. Good reels to hold all that copper and required backing would be Tekota 800 or Penn 345. If I had to spend money on a good setup, I would make sure to invest in a quality SS wire/dipsy setup first.

Definitely a wire dipsey setup first. Then copper. You can get by with a shorter copper and complement it with Dive Bombs to achieve greater depth. 200' of copper will generally fit onto a smaller reel. Not so much agony reeling it in, too.

Thanks guys,Im going to set up both this year and try and learn how to fish with them,looking at those tekotas on line are a bite more than I want to spend,what other reels would you recomend,and what type of rods for the copper. whats the reason why you guys are recomending a wire dip over the copper set up?

Thanks tom

The copper catches fish but its a pain th bring one in on it. And it seems to find the rest of your lines if you arn't watching it. The wire dipsie are more fun to fight the fish with and you can adjust where in the water colume they are running in. Two riggers and Two wire dipsies are my basic set. I fool around with the other type of lines when things are slow.

I have the 7 strand 30# ss wire . On a Diawia sg47lc reel with Fish Dr 7' Roller rods :yes::yes: I haven't tried the 19 strand so I can't tell you about it. You need a good rod holder for these as there is no streach to the line. There is no hit like a wire dipsie hit :inlove::clap:

I think it doesn't really matter which wire line you use, there are many out there. Wire has standards and therefore strength is determined by diameter. Here is a link to a great wire line video, make sure to read the comments below the video because they explain the reason for the differences.

It really comes down to what color you prefer the wire to be and the price tag. Last year there were two Captains in Rochester that were outperforming everyone else. They swore the darker the wire the better. They wouldn't tell me which wire they were using but I had a peak at their wire reels and the wire was really dark, almost purple - black smoke color. Anyone know which wire this could be?

Hey littletom, You will love the Smoke Torpedo Wire. I had the Bright Torpedo Wire running in 2010 and changed all my wires in 2011 to the Torpedo Smoke and there was definitely an improvement in my wire bites this past season. I run the 19 strand but that's a personal preference.

littletom,

first welcome to LOU. I am not sure what area you are in or where you are located but I will help you out and show you whatever you wanna know. I have helped alot of members off this board before and will continue in the future. I have even taken people out on my boat and showed them stuff in the past. This board has ALOT of great anglers and must of them are like myself and will help you out with anything.

if you are still interested in a wire set up - i have one that i will sell you cheap. just pm me for details. As for running wire and/or copper stop by the marina where i am dock after the boat goes in end of March and i will show you abunch of tips/tricks and my set ups. plus answer whatever you want.

As for wire choice alot of good manufactors oput there- comes down to personal choice. From experience darker colored wire seems to get more fish than the SS or "chrome" stuff."

Roller rods are great for wire but can be costly and somewhat overkill for someone just getting started...if you got the cash go for them but a good dipsey rod with twili tip will do 1000's of fish also.

i think i covered everything you asked....