copper set up

Little Tom,

Spooling wire is not difficult. I spool all my reels with a cheap Berkley spooling setup. I like the AFW camo wire, just keep the spool of wire tight and put pressure on the line with something plastic as you wind it on. I've never had any problem.

Couple things about wire & divers; 1- Use any color diver as long as it's black ( use a white marker to put a P and S on em so you let them out on the correct sides) .2- Always use 30lb leaders w/ the big coast loc swivel snaps for your dipsy leaders. 3- Don't take the divers off your wire, just velcro strap the trip arms to your rod handle & then wrap the leader around your reel and the secure the coast loc to your reel handle w/ a hair zingie (this way you save time and your wire won't pigtail on you!) Good Luck! -Andy

littletom,

adding to my prior post.

1. Black or clear dipsey's as stated by others work great. I run clear on port and black on startboard. Other color dipsey's work but i want the fish looking at my lure not the dipsey color. Personal choice.

2. When spooling wire onto a reel - no matter how you choose to do it -keep tight/consent pressure between reel and spool of wire. Like fighting a fish -line goes slack-fish off-wire goes slack-kink

3. I do a wrap of electrical tape around my reel spool before filling up with wire- this does to things protects the reel spool from scratches/grooves from the wire and also gives the wire something to "grab" during the first couple of cranks while filling.

4. If you are NOT running a roller rod you can add 20-30' of flouro or mono to the end of the wire (at dipsey connetion end). I run 40 lb flouro. This does alot - A) acts as a shock absorber like a dipsey snubber B) alot more forgiving when mono is slamming around the deck with a fish in the net (no chances of kinks) and c) you can also use a slide diver set up instead of just a dipsey on your wires. I have 2 wire roller rods and 2 twili wire rods and both twili's are set up this way

5. not mentioned thus far any very important is when running wire keep the drag loose - just enough to keep from creeping out while trolling

As for the mystery wire used in rochester - for what its worth.....i heard thru the grapevine/little birdy that it's the torpedo smoke wire

hope this helps

I like to use the nylon filiment tape that used for packing. I tie the wire to the spool than put the tape across the length of the spool. The wire can't spin with the wire tightly wound over the filiments. Tuna Tom puts a peg in the spool when he updated my diawia 27's and 47's Haven't had any problens with them of coarse :yes::yes:

On my wire rods I only run the Smoke Torpedo Wire I prefer the 19 strand wire to the 7 strand its a litter easier to work with. Also as shown in the YouTube video that was posted on page 1 by Salmonrama the 19 strand had the best overall average break strength, while the AFW was the worst. I also have rods with twilli tips, and i have roller rods, but my favorite set up is the Torpedo roller tip because of the way it swivels left and right. Just my .02 cents.

On my wire rods I only run the Smoke Torpedo Wire I prefer the 19 strand wire to the 7 strand its a litter easier to work with. Also as shown in the YouTube video that was posted on page 1 by Salmonrama the 19 strand had the best overall average break strength, while the AFW was the worst. I also have rods with twilli tips, and i have roller rods, but my favorite set up is the Torpedo roller tip because of the way it swivels left and right. Just my .02 cents.

I think the AFW was the thinnest as Captain Bill stated below the video. It makes sense that the thinner the line the lower the breaking strength. I find that thinner line curls easier. Here is the link to the video again check out the comments below the video.

• 2 weeks later...

Put a screwdriver in a bench vise so the point is up...put the spool of wire on the screwdriver...cut a slit in the tennis ball and use that to protect your hand while holding tension on the wire (like you would using your fingers to spool mono) as you reel it on your reel.

I like coffee color and spool my own. Just have to make sure it stays under even tension at all times while spooling. How much tension? I dunno. I made up a rig at work. My rods are medium, and the rod has a decent arc to it while it is being spooled. Just like anything else, takes a bit of trial and error.

• 1 month later...

Being new to fishing Ontario and trying to learn what my next few rod/reel/line set-ups should be is making my head spin. I like this thread but the more I read the more I am up in the air. Been reading around the site for a few hours everyday for the last week or two. Mono, leadcore, copper etc. Damn. Been having great success with the brown trout but once walleye slow down in July I want to concentrate on Ontario. Think I am going to go nuts finding my net set-up for deeper fishing.

:D That's exactly where we were this time last year. We had the boat, two riggers and two inexpensive Okuma Magda combos. We booked a spring and summer charter, did a ton of reading here, read both of Keating's books and asked a ton of basic questions.

Oh - and spent a ton of money. Lots and lots of money. :(

:D That's exactly where we were this time last year. We had the boat, two riggers and two inexpensive Okuma Magda combos. We booked a spring and summer charter, did a ton of reading here, read both of Keating's books and asked a ton of basic questions.

Oh - and spent a ton of money. Lots and lots of money. :(

Yup, it's a good thing I don't do drugs, 'cause I surely couldn't afford to do both :lol::lol:

You said it, brother.

In the last year, between the two of us we've purchased spoons, flashers, flies, stickbaits, rods, reels, releases, swivels, line, wire, dipsies, divers, planer mast & reels, rod holders, vhf radio, antenna, fm radio/cd player, fish finder, kicker motor and gas tank.

Wish we were done...

Welcome to our addiction. I spent over 18k since last November to get back out on Lake Ontario. Now that my Grandad is getting older and my boys can join me to see what kind of fun we had. When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's fishing for kings out there with my dad and Grandad, there was nothing like it. The thrill of almost getting spooled then trying to return all that line onto the reel just to watch it go again. I can't wait to be back out there.

Ducks,

It's a wonderful sport, and yes it's addicting. When your boat becomes "under seige" by Kings for the first time, you are "done like dinner."

The only way to approach your learning curve is let your knowledge and rig evolve. Don't try to tackle the advanced, complicated stuff until you become competent with the basics. Get your riggers catching Salmon, then complement them with a couple dipseys. Then you can build around it. How fast all this happens for you depends on your time on the water.

Ducks,

It's a wonderful sport, and yes it's addicting. When your boat becomes "under seige" by Kings for the first time, you are "done like dinner."

The only way to approach your learning curve is let your knowledge and rig evolve. Don't try to tackle the advanced, complicated stuff until you become competent with the basics. Get your riggers catching Salmon, then complement them with a couple dipseys. Then you can build around it. How fast all this happens for you depends on your time on the water.

Yeah my wallet needs some help from my fishing buddies. I need them to start picking up some stuff. Trying to outfit my boat is one thing but for 4 rod/reels is another. As we all know fishing tackle isn't cheap. Fished walleyes on Oneida all my life. The guy I bought this boat from said that once I fished Ontario I wouldn't want to fish Oneida for walleyes again. LOL He may be right. I am addicted to browns now. Can't imagine once I go for Kings or Salmon. Look out.

The friend I fish with (the boat owner) caught the bug the winter of 2010. We did a charter last year on April 30th and for better or for worse, had about the best possible day you can. We caught all six species of trout & salmon that morning with a lone smallmouth thrown in, something like 40 fish by lunch. Been hooked (lol) ever since.

He's definitely spent more than I have but I buy gear and help foot the expenses. It's been worth it - I love the time I get to spend hunting and fishing.