season's close!

I don't know what everyone's got going on. We have a couple months left till our 2012 season takes off. I just put my order in for some gear at hills, valleys and streams. They went to a show and I hear they got some pretty good deals. I know some of us are locals. Lets support our local shop since mother nature isn't giving them the ice business this year.

Also, I will be at the March finger lakes show along with them. Who else is going?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I don't know what everyone's got going on. We have a couple months left till our 2012 season takes off. I just put my order in for some gear at hills, valleys and streams. They went to a show and I hear they got some pretty good deals. I know some of us are locals. Lets support our local shop since mother nature isn't giving them the ice business this year.

Also, I will be at the March finger lakes show along with them. Who else is going?

Used to believe in supporting them to the fullest especially since I live 3 blocks away. Unfortunately after spending a decent $250+ on a couple rods from them I took the one out for the first time and 2 eyes on the rod completely poped out of the one rod I purchased. Since it was less then 3 weeks old and it was my first time using it I figured I'd be able to exchange it with no problem. Especially since the situation and the way it broke no doubt in my mind it was a manufacturers mistake or something happened to it in the store eyes don't just pop on of new rods on the 1st fish you hook!!! Well I take it in there and since I took the plastic off the rod I lost my rights to exchange it?!?!?!?! WHAT who fishes with the plastic still covering there rod???? So now I have to pay like $15.00 for shipping to get a new rod....Some may say whats $15.00 and yeah I agree but the principle of the matter I bought an item from your store less then 30 days old still in possession of a dated receipt and now I have to pay extra money to get my originally purchase to work properly? Let me just add in the fact to that this happened about 2 months ago and I am STILL waiting for my new rod to be sent back to me so not only did I have to pay an extra couple bucks for my item but I have paid for it and owned it for over 2 months now not being able to use it!!!!!! So if and when you do have problems with an it em purchased from them don't say you where not warned. Honestly I mean no disrespect whatsoever I just feel if your going to come here and give all this positive feedback on a store that people should also know the down side of what goes on there as I have never been so disappointed with a store in all my life!!!!

skinnyskins, what the manufacture of the rod? I have run diawa and okuma and to be honest these people have been more than accommodating. With both manufactures I asked for return shipping labels and they sent them to me. With in a couple weeks I had the replacements. I understand your frustration but as a business owner myself in NY we all have policies in place to ultimately keep the doors open and make a few bucks. I personally have never been to this store but I am sure it more of a "labor of love" then a get rich business. We all need to understand that it is essential to support local businesses and by offering them support we must also realize that sometimes is not financially possible to offer the same return policy as big box stores. You are entitled to your opinion and yes you did experience a little inconvenience but I sure that if you a questionable warranty issue (breaking off the tip of the rod on accident) the business owner would go to bat for you.

Just my two cents and FYI as a resident of Binghamton, where we do not have a tackle store that carries trolling equipment, I would not be quick to complain.

I understand I'll add in the fact that I had already once this yr bought an Okuma rod from them that I took out and broke on a Salmon of a life...Totally my fault never was expecting or asked for a refund on that item as I was the one responsible and HillsValley was more then helpful giving me the Okuma info to contact about the rod...my problem then was I hada wait for the new rod and it was prime season thats when/why I got the next 2 I talked about above. Idea is if I noob up and break 1 again I'll have the okuma for a spare when I get it back....Like I said it's the principle behind the matter that gets me. basically they threw the price of shipping a broken item there store was guilty of selling onto the consumer and thats just wrong corporate or not and if u look at the big picture...I spent what $60ish on the okuma rod then I go buy 2 ugly sticks fly rod and a spinning rod as well as a top martin fly reel just from those 2 simple purchases not counting the lures hooks bobbers ect. I have purchased from them I obviously enjoy fishing and don't mind paying for quality items that I know I am going to use. So now lets look at it that way well round up at say that's $400.00 on just a few items in 2 stops and there more then willing to loose a customer like that over $15.00 they would have made more then that just saying sorry and letting me take the other 1 off the shelf and buying the rest of the items I needed!...Again I mean no Disrespect just stating my experiences with there shop. Best of luck to them I just know I will not make the mistake of taking my hard earned money into there store again especially when here in Elmira they are NOT the only local shop we have! Again this is just my experience with there store maybe I cough em on a bad day whatever the situation was I know I am the one who spent money in there shop only to turn around and get screwed over!

Ouch is right. I'm still a die hard and in there daily. They are our only local business supporting our fishing needs for the flx and LO. EVERYONE has unfortunate happenings in their life. Sorry yours happened there. Dan and Yvonne work hard to support us. That's why a lot of us keep giving the support. Wish you luck and as always tight lines

And I am sorry if you own a store and you choose to sell specific brand items you still should hold yourself somewhat accountable for the quality of these items and thats basically what this boiled down to they had no problem making the quick profit off me buying the things but they didn't wanna hear it when something they sold was defective it was easier to just blow off and brush under the rug! Again just because I am not a totally **** Best of luck to them in the future just hope this here will make em maybe review there policies and make some needed changes

What about Nickle Creek they host the yearly children's fishing tournament showing the joys of fishing to kids who may otherwise never even get to try it let alone they donate a massive amount of equipment to these kids in hopes that when they leave they will still continue to fish! Does the fact they are not here donating there money to LO make them a less respectable shop? Personally Id rather see the money going to help show the kids in my area how to fish and the fun that comes with it just saying

And I am sorry if you own a store and you choose to sell specific brand items you still should hold yourself somewhat accountable for the quality of these items and thats basically what this boiled down to they had no problem making the quick profit off me buying the things but they didn't wanna hear it when something they sold was defective it was easier to just blow off and brush under the rug! Again just because I am not a totally **** Best of luck to them in the future just hope this here will make em maybe review there policies and make some needed changes

Skinnyskins, If there is a way you could stop by the store to discuss this we would greatly appreciate it, believe me, we are here to give the Southside of Elmira and the surrounding area a good value for their hard earned money, and we believe that we have done a good job at doing that as a whole and look forward to continueing in that fashion. Above all we do not want to have any dis-satisfied customers, and would rather not loose you. Thanks, Dan & Yvonne Nikulich

What about Nickle Creek they host the yearly children's fishing tournament showing the joys of fishing to kids who may otherwise never even get to try it let alone they donate a massive amount of equipment to these kids in hopes that when they leave they will still continue to fish! Does the fact they are not here donating there money to LO make them a less respectable shop? Personally Id rather see the money going to help show the kids in my area how to fish and the fun that comes with it just saying

Skinnskins, Just as an FYI we at Hills Valleys and Streams along with many other companies and organizations in the area donate product and money to Nickle Creek every year to help her with this very nice tournament she organizes. She does a great job with it.

Dan

skinnyskins, stop with the bashing of hills valley and streams...ive been a customs since they open and never had a problem with them.....dan and yvonne bend over backwards for their customs that walks through their door.......so you broke a rod, so what it happens....you had eyes pop out so did i..ive had eyes pop ouy of my st croix rod bought at dicks and was told i had to sent it in to st croix to be replaced....

First let me say Thank you for the donations as one of my good friends is the 1 who walks around handing these items out and says all the time how much he loves just seeing the look on the kids faces after giving them a brand new fishing rod. Last yr I believe he said he personally handed around 50 rods alone not counting all the other things handed out that a hell of a donation to the area :yes: ...Believe me I love/loved your shop if for nothing else then the location right down the road from my house. I'll never forget walking in and had a giant bucket of just damaged packaging lures for .25 cents a piece I bought the whole bucket just on the fact who can turn down 25 cent lures! I have special ordered from the books from your shop my son absolutely loves coming in and grabbing a basket and filling it with whatever the hell he can pick up and 90% of the time I just buy it cuz i don't know where to put it back. You know I don't or never wanted any special treatment that not my point. Its the fact that I feel you knew I wasn't just some 1 stop in customer and that I had an honest problem with some equipment I had purchased and since I was not able to do in store exchange on my rod I basically missed out on over half the season waiting for the other one to come in the mail. Yes I have other rods but not meant for the trout/steel head. The season is only so long and we all don't have the extra cash to just buy a rod to use when I'm waiting for the other rod I bought to come in the mail since it was defective I wish I could say I did. I addressed this when I was in the store and got no response. After seeing the posts about how great thing are down there I felt it was only right to share my experiences as well since it was not as pleasant. I understand you can't just give out items whenever something goes wrong. I feel that within the right amount of time frame you should be able to make some exceptions to this. Like I said before it cost me an extra few bucks whatever not a issue really the fact I spend my money on something I now can't really use now till basically next year is not right. I hope this will maybe open up some ideas on how u could possibly change that so in the future others will not run into this same problem because believe me it really sucks being on my end! My intents where to never try and gain anything from this rather then have you realize the bigger issue is with your policy itself and how it should be changed accordingly to your purchase.

skinnyskins, stop with the bashing of hills valley and streams...ive been a customs since they open and never had a problem with them.....dan and yvonne bend over backwards for their customs that walks through their door.......so you broke a rod, so what it happens....you had eyes pop out so did i..ive had eyes pop ouy of my st croix rod bought at dicks and was told i had to sent it in to st croix to be replaced....

That's great man good for you :clap: Reading comprehensions not on your strong suit is it?

Yo Skinnyskins

Small business owners have to compete with huge chains stores in order to eke out a living. It's naive to think that on top of everything else they have to go through to serve the local customers that they should have to have a return policy that places even more responsibility on them than their competition has to bear. Grow up & face the music like the rest of the human race man! I truly hope you attain some perspective before you have to deal with some of life's truly serious issues. Good Luck! -Andy

Yo Skinnyskins

Small business owners have to compete with huge chains stores in order to eke out a living. It's naive to think that on top of everything else they have to go through to serve the local customers that they should have to have a return policy that places even more responsibility on them than their competition has to bear. Grow up & face the music like the rest of the human race man! I truly hope you attain some perspective before you have to deal with some of life's truly serious issues. Good Luck! -Andy

Thumbs up Andy

manufacturing defects is the reason i will no longer wash any spoons made by a certain company, when the paint falls off taking it out of the package they can kiss my butt. the point being i did not blame the store where i bought them. i live 40 min. from dick's and gander mtn. but drive 90 min. to hill's... great selection, good people and average prices. my two cents..... GOD bless rollie