Coming home

Well, it's time to come home - after spending most of the last 10 years running all over Lake Ontario, we will be moving the boat back to Ithaca for the next few years. It's been a struggle for me to walk out the door every weekend and leave my two boys behind and I want to spend more time with them. It was a long decision-making process but I've finally decided that it's time to slow down the pace a little and spend my free time fishing with my kids on the beautiful lake here in our back yard rather than driving 2-3 hours to the big lake every weekend. We'll still run a few charters here locally and plan to fish the pro-am's on a friends boat, but I'm most excited about being able to spend lots more time with my boys on the lake and being able to use the boat more than just on weekends. It's been a while since I've spent a full season on Cayuga and I'm looking forward to getting back in the saddle. So, how's the fishing been on Cayuga the last couple of years?? ;)

Capt. Bill,

It was always nice to see you near or around the big lake. But sometimes priorities must prevail. :clap: And that's very understandable. My son is 40, and I think, where did the time go. The good news, now he's mating for me on the boat :).

You have been, and I'm sure will always be, a great promoter of the fishery on Lake Ontario. You and your boy's are always welcome aboard the Get-A-Way to fish the big lake out of Sodus Point.

Hey Bill , the kids are only young for a short period of time , then they grow up and leave the nest .... You made the right decision , I hope everything is well with your family , and I hope you mom gets well fast .... Take care

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Good Call Bill, Droppin from 100 days a season to less than 20 was a change but dooable.. The Pro /Ams do have that special draw thats tuff to kick..and its great to see the teams and compete . and my tradeoff was 3 months in the keys ...that helped to heal the L.O. pains ;)

Thanks guys. It's going to be fun having the boat here - we'll get to fish a lot more as a result and we'll still get plenty of days up on the big lake too.

Dane - Thank you for the invite - we may just take you up on that! And you can certainly count on us continuing to promote the great fisheries here in NYS.

My son is 12 and I wonder every day where the time has gone! Sounds like an awesome choice and opportunity for memories to be made. I know your good with the camera Bill, looking forward to some happy faces and lots of fish pics this summer! :clap:

Tom

That's tough!

Kudos for making a good decision.

The Big O is like a mistress who will gladly take ALL my time if I allow it.

I've been tempted to get the captain's license and put a boat in Sodus Bay...with 3 girls ages 4,6 and 8 I'm sure I'd be divorced in no time! (INSERT "MORE TIME FOR FISHING" JOKES HERE). My financial situation would require working my full time job plus running a business...I'm thinking my "passion" may have to wait for retirement!

It is definatly a delicate balance.

I'm impressed with how you've been a leader among the "Big Lake Crew". I'm sure that will continue even though it's from a distance.

Look forward to seeing you on the water. :yes:

I enjoyed reading your posts from the big lake but family time is something you cant get back. I love it when my dad still comes out with me and im 23. Welcome back Billy V, Leave some for the rest of us now will ya

Fishing is Great on Cayuga....Kids grow up way too fast...Thankfully I was able to spend some quality time fishing with my son when he was growing up....He is fifty one and I'm just old....but the passion for fishing still burns in both of us....Hope to see you and you boys this summer

We'll still get 20-25 days on Lake Ontario this year and I'll continue to write reports. I can't just walk away from her cold turkey! I'm most excited about having the boat 10 minutes from home and being able to use it a lot more than ever before. how many more days till splash down?? :D:D:D

We'll still get 20-25 days on Lake Ontario this year and I'll continue to write reports. I can't just walk away from her cold turkey! I'm most excited about having the boat 10 minutes from home and being able to use it a lot more than ever before. how many more days till splash down?? :D:D:D

Now yer talking!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The boys will sure be happy to have you spend more time with them. I have been fishing with dad for almost 50 years, it is a passion you can share for many years.

I am sure you will continue to be a credit to all the captains out there, always willing to help out the little guy.

Welcome home.