seneca

wasthinking of going after some perch sat any tips would be great I know everyone is pretty quite about locations and so on but just some general info would help what bait and maybe depths would be a start I am coming from churchville so an open launch would also help thanks

pumpkin colored mr twistee grubs fished on 3/16 ounce jig head tied to a two inch tag leader on an ultralight....1/2 to 3/4 ounce bass sinker @ bttom of rig keep the twisstee tag about 12 - 18 inches off the bottom and bounce it through a school when u find em.....they are schooled up from 35 to 70 right now located near the drop offs on the west side.....idk bout the other side of the lake....stay in between kashong and severne pt. they are there just gota get on em.

make shure ur heads got eyes colored onto them, white and purple with black eyes is my favorite.......all the launches are open on seneca....geneva end watins..or severne pt....roys marina,.......some guys swear by rosey reds and fatheads bottom fished but i think they are a waste of money....if u cant get schooled perch to hit plastic ur doing somthing wrong...

no threeway...i just tie a figure 8 in the line up your desired distance and leave a tag loop a couple of inches long to tie on your jighead, tight line with only a three inch or less tag that your tied onto makes for great feel on the bite...they take it and run and are hooked b4 they know it....... you can drift over the schools i stay just inside their line.....casting from atop the shelf across the school into deeper water and retreive through them....bouncing bottom the whole way and your mr twistee or powergrub is just above them ....its just a matter of staying with the school..

dropshotwhite.jpg

this is basically it...i tie a figure 8 instead of palomar, im not worried about the knot strength as i re-tie often due to the mussels. Leave the tag two to three inches long instead of running it in-line like this pic shows .just put a jig head on it and keep it up off the bottom of the rig anywhere from 12inches to 18inches..sometimes i run two on one rig...one high and one low...shouldnt need anything more than 5/8 ounce lead @ bottom if u are running ultralights with 4-6lb test....bounce it through an active school and ur bringing home diner.

no prob. just experiment with jigheads....some of the new shank styles and colored shanks atop the multitude of colors and colored eyes to choose from are nice to feel out. if one combo wont work another will.......my producers in seneca have been white jigs with black and red eyes....purple with black eyes and black with yellow eyes....i dont change my colors on the grubs too often...either a greenish or orang/brownish Pumpkin color...earth tones do numbers on our perch...idk why solids dont put out as much, gotta have the speckles in the grubs. muddy water from runoff i run blacker bodys, whereas clear water away from shore i use the clear based/transluscent greens and light browns.

No problem bro, U still gotta get out there and find them!!!!!the gear is no good if u can get on a nice school and stay with them.....I was driving home from sampson state park yesterday....went to try and put another slaying on the L.L.'s from the wall by the mouth of the marina....caught and released two juvies...nothing worth bringing home for dinner, let alone appetizers......but back to point i saw two boats on east lake road that were out perching i beleive.....one i could see was anchored in maybe 30ft of water......im a west side perch fisherman so idk what the subterrain is on east side......im going to get back on the water next week weather permitting and do some searching north and south of Kashong.....ill post ne news i can come up with.....usually theres some good jack perchin' all up the west side in the early spring b4 they go into the shallows to get it on....

the ultralight rig i described is what the curcuit pros on seneca use, one of em taught me about five or six years ago and its been game over since then.....never let me down, thats why I laff@ the guys that come to fish seneca with NO knowlegde of the schoolin' grounds with a twenty foot boat and mercury 200hp four stroke and 100 dollars worth of fatheads in their livewell, I get-r-dun on a 12.5 foot high side john boat with a 6 hp two stroke, hummingbird sonar and transom mount trolling motor retrofit to the front deck with a foot control, and a homemade electronics box with light up compass, cd player, radio, and ship to shore radio!!If u see me on the water u will know it!!!! ive got the most decked out johnboat on the lake!!!The sherriffs partol boat whoops out their NOC's everytime they motor past cuz they dont beleive the ear busting LOUD jammin tunes and screams of "FISH_ON" are coming from my tiny vessel!.....i know where to go most of the time, if not i can always figure sumthin out to put em in the boat.....and all i need is an ultralight with the previously described rig and maybe my victrola with some small flutter spoons and i fill my johnboat in no time.

10 % of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish.....are you a 10%'er???

Does all this rain screw up the fishing on Seneca or is it big enough so it does not affect it? We are 100% going sat I will post the out come I hope it's a good one is minnows the only bait I should bother bringing? Thanks again guys let me know if any one is going out!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

the rain will definitly move the fish that are near the creek mouths......depending on which way the current is moving the mudline......north or south id concentrate first on the side that isnt mudswept....most times tho the mud is only on the top 4 or 6 feet....below that its clean water....

....most times tho the mud is only on the top 4 or 6 feet....below that its clean water....

IB, that's interesting that you said that. I had the conversation this past year about mud being only in the top several feet. I was convinced that it would extend to the bottom, but was told by Polar Bear that it doesn't. I guess I owe him an apology.

i didnt beleive it @ first either....then some old guys told me just follow the outside egde of a mud line as it moves...I did and u can see right under it, the temp difference iin the water makes the two layers seperate like clouds!....imagine that.but im shure light quality and reflection on bait/lures is drastically effected by this mudline.....so id say when fishing in it or near it maybe a minnow tipped jig might help, couldnt hurt i dont think....ive found tho with the biig jumbos less is better....one jig per line and small hooks....It's fun to pull them off sunken boats or piles in 100+ ft water...they come up so qwik that their gullets pop out of their mouths a couple of inches...weird lookin'