Lake jigging for larger fish

Neo1945

If I want to try jigging for larger fish in 60-120 FOW, say LT, LLS, Rainbow etc. how much weight should I plan for in a rod .. to 5/8 or to 1 1/2, or 2 oz ? I read that the rod should be chosen according to the lure ( or sinker) weight along with action ( M, MH ) tip (fast. Mod fast) Length (7 -9 ft.)

Thanks for any help.

Jigging is one of my favorite techniques for all species. I like to use a very heavy weight to insure my lure sinks fast which is crucial on windy days. Generally from 75ft and deeper i go with 1 1/2 - 2oz. obviously increasing as you get deeper. Rod selection is something that is a matter of personal preference. I like a shorter stiff rod with a soft tip to make sure i can feel light strikes. I use a shorter rod because i like having the bait closer to me personally i think you have more control that way. Finally line is something not to be overlooked I made the classic mistake of jigging with mono. This will cost you fish trust me! You need a nice low stretch braid, flouro, or superline. Its important to be able to stick those fish especially when they are over a 100ft away from you. Using mono you have an enormous amount of stretch, which makes it difficult to set the hook. Mono is an affordable option and can be done obviously but just my preference. Anyway i wish you luck sorry for the wordy response but contact me if you have any other questions.