niagara bar spring 2012

last yr was my 1st year fishing lake ontario and really my 1st year owning a boat that I can. I'm 23 years old and tring to work my way into figuring this lake out. Last year I primarly fished out of sandy pond because of a buddy of mines camp. spring browns where great! biggest for the season was 12.2 and we got bumped out of the LOC. As for the kings ha i couldnt buy a bite most days and believe me we tried. what I have read on LOU has helped a lot in adapting my tackle box, but if still tring to pick up some of the techniques, cheaters, wire, dipsey theres a lot to take in!

anyway this year we are going to make plans to fish the Niagara bar in the spring. My 1st concern is the weather with my 16ft crestliner because I have no idea how far the drop is offshore or how far the depths of 200-500 are out? Fishing sandy pond it was a six mile run to the southwest to find 120-160fow.

any help with tackle and technique would be great, if I start now maybe by may Ill have an idea with what I should be doing out there

thanks again

Jeff "Gert"

You should get a lake map, either paper (West Marine) or map chip for a GPS.

A launch at Fort Niagara and a 5 mile ride will get you past the Red Can where the drop-off is. 50' at the can, near the top of the drop. When it falls off, it's almost a cliff. Sometimes the fish are right on the top edge, but usually just beyond the drop-off in 100+ FOW. You'll have to go another 8 miles to get 400 FOW (almost to Canadian border). There is no 500' depths at this end.

Many start at the drop and go west. In about 1 mile you will be in Canadian waters so be licensed. Those that troll East follow the drop and keep in 100-250 FOW. Boats seem to concentrate along the drop from the Red Can and 5 miles East. Spring kings can be found near the river outflow all the way out as this cold water often becomes a barrier for the fish migration.

If you launch at Wilson (Tuscarora State Park) or Olcott, the ride out to 100 FOW is very quick- about 1 mile or so. Wilson fishermen frequently fish "out front" or head west to the same waters as Red Can East trollers use. Olcott fishermen do a lot "out front" and to the East.

Spring fishing frequently is in shallower water because of temps. At the Fort, don't ignore the area near the Green Can (1 mile out). 30-35 FOW holds many lakers which can be drift fished with bait or jigs or botton trolled with downriggers and assorted laker lures. Trolling the shoreline with stickbaits and spoons with long drop-backs (100 or +) catches lots of browns and cohos and can be lots of fun on light tackle. I prefer Wilson for this and troll West and East about 2 miles either direction. Olcott is similar. Side planers are great for doing this (in-line or planer boards), try to keep the lures in as shallow water as you can, particularly just inside a mud line if one exists. Warm water pockets deserve extra attention if you have a temp senser. Mid March is a good starting time to do this, but it might be good right now if you want to try.

Your 16' boat is great for inshore trips, but iffy way out at the drop and beyond. Out deep, pick little or no wind days with waves under 2'. I don't venture out there in my 18' Lund when waves exceed 2' and I'm confident the boat could handle much worse. Why gamble your life for fish?

Fishing Resource Links on the side bar has lake map in it . It gives you a rough idea of the bottom at the bar. You also can fish the river if its to rough to go out into the lake. The nigaria river anglers site has details on that. Four mile state park is a good campground, Its 4 mi from the fort launch , or its not that far to the state launch in Wilson.

We have gone the past two years mid may and had a great time. We rent a house in olcott and depending on the lake we either trailer to Wilson or launch at olcott. Definitely worth the trip but go prepared. First year we were hammering kings in 100 fow and last year our program was cohoes and steelies in 300 fow off boards with stick baits!

thanks for the info guys. I have a really good gps on the boat a HDS 7 but ive got to be in the boat to use it I used to have a navionics mapping program for the computer until the last virsus and I had to get it wiped clean. I really want to try to run copper this year, so I guess the next question is where is the best place to find a roller rod and what kind of action would you reccomend I have to calcutta 700s that I will spool with copper and Im hoping 300 braid backing will be enough. Do you run a dipsey on the copper as well and what depths do you try to acheive with the wire?? mainly a spoon or flasher fly at the end? again I really appreicate any elp and advice in walking me thru my 1st year on the big lake

tight lines

Gert

No - no dipsy on copper. The idea of copper is to eliminate the drag of a dipsy. Copper will drop around 22'/100 and wire with a dipsy is around 33'/100. Plus of using copper is you can run it down the chute or off boards. Most fishermen who run copper have several set ups. They have poles with 200', 300', 450' and 600'. For you, and this strickly my opinion, you should set up a 450' rod and you can run off what you want. Keep in mind, in general, the fishin is normal inside during spring depending on what you are targeting. A couple of wire set ups and a copper will help as part of your arsenal.Be careful, running copper and wire on a boat with a narrow beam can cause some serious tangles. Very wide turns is a must and traffic at the bar in spring is normal.

Good Luck,

Shade

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm...gets the juices flowin' just thinkin' about it...

Don't forget a good spoon selection too...they can get downright particular.

Last Memorial Day weekend did very well on spinnies & flies, but took our largest on spoon and have had days in the past when spoon bite was on, flasher / fly got very little attention...