NY Musky Inc

MuskyInc_zps4059cde2.png

Meetings are held at 7:00pm on the third Monday of each month.
We meet over at the Moose Lodge in Henrietta, NY.

+ DOWNLOAD MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION

========================================

After talking to Solgrande tonight and others in the past, I have really got to thinking about why NY is the only state with out an active chapter of MI. I have always wanted muskies stocked in Conesus Lake and other local waterways and from what I know, it would be very difficult to do without an organized group working with the DEC to make this happen. What are some of your guys' thoughts about starting up a local chapter of MI? Please let us know if there is enough support for something like this. Thanks for your time and also your comments.

i'd join and help out if i could. it's gonna be tough to get muskies stocked anywhere else in n.y. too many trout lovers around. my dad was a pike hater. he believed the pike ate all the "good fish". we lived on seneca lake for awhile and when the pike population exploded in the 60's and i was out pike fishing all the time he told me to kill 'em all and nail their heads on the back of the garage. i loved my old man but i let all the pike go. there was and old guy named jay next door who trolled kashong bay every night. every couple days he'd pick me up and take me with him. the bass all went back but if we caught a pike it got whacked and fed to his barn cats. another pike hater. they're still around. i'm all for a mi chapter in new york and will join and support it,but it will be a tough road. trout=white man's carp.

I am thinking if we can get even 20 people to start with I will go ahead and get things rolling. Anyone else interested? Remember that NYS is the only state that doesn't have a Muskies Inc chapter in all of the muskies range.

Oh- Blueye, I nominated you for president.

Hey Everyone,

I just did a search on Muskies Inc NY and found a good post on another forum written by Larry Jones in 2008. Someone had asked why there was no NY chapter. According to Larry's post:

There once was the Niagara Chapter of Muskies Inc. in the early 70's.I was not a member of the chapter myself,so the only thing that I know about the Niagara Chapter of Muskies Inc. were second hand talk by members of the Niagara Top 20 Contest.I have heard nothing bad about the Chapter its self that once was here,they actualy had a tagging study at one time as well.What I did hear from members of the Niagara Top 20 Musky Club was that it was near impossible to get any funding from Muskies Inc. International for any projects out East. With the majority of the membership money going to M.I. International most decided not to join or rejoin.A lot of us joined Muskies Inc. Chapters in PA or Ohio.Those of us that belonged to those other M.I. Chapters slowly turned the mind set to Catch & Release here on the Niagara River.In 1993 the Niagara Musky Assoc. was founded by eight of us who wanted to stop the Niagara Top 20 Musky Club and their Catch & Kill Contest.I'm not tring to start anything here,I was also part of that Kill Contest for many years,that was what it was here through the 70's,80's and into 1993.Descussions were both on starting a new M.I. Chapter or a Local Musky Club.The Local Musky Club was the route we took so as to keep all funds from membership here within the club at hand to be used here on our own fishery.The Niagara Musky Assoc. was formed and the Niagara Top 20 Musky Club slowly faded away.The Niagara Musky Assoc. Inc. has been a big player here in conservation of the river and the muskies that swim here.The NMA was at the front lines when it came to getting funds to repair Strawberry Island from washing away.They have been instrumental with Sizelimit Changes,Musky Season Opening & Closing Dates,Tagging Study Data and Educating others of the importance of Catch & Release. Now with the Buffalo Harbor and Niagara River near Rock Bottom due to VHS,Life Lived Out on Year Classes and Bad Recruitment of Young of the Year Muskies the last few years,I see the membership of the Niagara Musky Assoc. once agian stepping up and doing what needs to be done to bring our musky fishery back to the Trophy Fishery of the Past.

He also said:

I want everyone to know that I do think Muskies Inc. is a Great Organization and it has been instrumental in placing everyone's mind set on Catch & Release,along with Great Stocking & Habitat Restoration Programs.We are not again'st M.I. here,most of us belong to an out of state chapter,just that we feel that local clubs here in NY have a more one on one working relationship with the NY DEC and other Local & State Gov. Organizations.

So my take on this is that Muskies Inc International gets most of the membership money and was not great at giving money towards east projects. Would it be a better idea to look into creating a Rochester Musky Association or a New York Musky Association?

Larry is out of the country right now, but I am sure he will have some ideas behind this when he gets back in town...I would love to hear his thoughts!

--Joe

I see your point Joe but to be associated with a national club would provide us some backing if we wanted to do things in the future. I would be afraid that a local club would not have the "pull" that a big club would. I honestly have no idea about this and thats why I posted. Lets keep the discussion going if we can. One things about Niagara Musky is that to the best of my knowledge they don't want anything to do with any "inland musky waters". My whole idea behind this MI thing is to get local lakes stocked and not have to drive so damn far to fish.

• 3 weeks later...

First thing I'm a member of Muskies Inc and its a good organization.But then again I was one of the charter members that started the Niagara Musky Assoc. Inc.,I served as the 1st vice president as well.The NMA has a great working relationship with the NY DEC.Projects include;restoration of Strawberry Island,sizelimit change of Buffalo Harbor/Lake Erie to 54",on going tagging--fin clip--habitat restoration studies. My feeling is that because the Rochester area lakes are a mix of Northern Pike,Tiger Muskies & Walleyes,not Purebred Muskies close,that an All Esox Club would be the way to go.Maybe the WNY Exox Club,cover all the inland Walleye,Northern Pike,Tiger Muskie and Purebred Muskies inland(Waneta,Bear,Chautauqua,Cassadaga & now Findley).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it has been a little bit since I originally posted this. MI sent me the info needed to start up a MI club up here. I have all the info to set up a club but have been so busy for the last 2 months making baits pretty much just for guys in PA. I talked to Gander Mountain in Rottenchester and it sounds that if we get something going they will let us use the store to hold meetings. I need to know if this is something we want/ need? I just see us (NY Musky Fisherman) as totally unorganized and this may be a way to get us all together. As for MI giving lots back to us, as long as you look at it as a fishing club and a place to meet and talk to others like us, it may work but in all honesty, they dont give us much. I would love to meet up once a month, see how everyone is doing, talk fishing and share past war stories. I think we have enough people to get something going if its in our best interest. To start up a club like this, people will be needed to fill spots like Pres, VP, Treasurer, etc. I really want to start something up but I dont want to invest tons of time in something that isn't supported by the majority. So- do I start up this club or what? I talk to 2 MI Presidents weekly (PA and OH) and they offer advice and know how that would help get us off the ground. As for free baits for everyone? Lol, no likely but things like making baits, leaders and sharing tactics would be easy to talk about at the meetings. I have everything here at the house to get this started, are we up for a NY MI chapter? I was told #69 would be the next chapter added if we want to do it. Chapter 69 MI of NY?

i'll join and donate a few bucks and i'd like to go to a few meetings and meet you guys. but i do wonder if we could get anything done. the dec is trout oriented and i'm not sure if 20 esox hounds would have much clout in new york. maybe if we showed them how much we spend going to ontario,kentucky,ohio,and pa. they would consider more musky water in new york? guess we won't know if we don't try.

0402122057a.jpg

here are my latest drunken bait creations. top one is for pulling through weeds. center model is a jig and the bottom one is a just under topwater. i have caught 2 pike on that one;other two are still to be tested.

Even with a Muskies Inc Chapter started in the Rochester,NY area,I believe it would get membership from all areas on NY state.Meetings may not be a big crowd unless quality speakers are brought in.You could start out by having your meetings at Gander Mtn. in Henrietta,NY. Zach if your still interested in making the move to start NY Muskies Inc Chapter 69 you need to do it now!

I would be glad to help you!

Ok,who can hold the positions,president,vice president,secretary,treasure,merchandizing director,membership director and tournament director? I am willing to be the conservation director. Lets get this going,lets start the NY Muskies Inc Chapter 69 in the Rochester Area.

Zach,where are you,you have all the paperwork to get this going!

We could have a meeting to get started any night at Gander Mtn. in Henrietta,NY,just say when! Chad I know you would be good for one position and your wife would make a great secretary!Bob s. you would be a good person for Merchandizing Director.If no one steps forward we can't get started. You want more pure-bred muskie lakes in NY state we have to form this new M.I. Chapter to have a voice to try and get them thinking our way.