NY Musky Inc

Gents,

sorry I couldnt make it to the meeting last night, class got in the way but I will be able to make septembers for sure. I ran this by Brad but wanted to get some feedback from others as well. Hopefully by next meeting we will be an official club so I was wondering if we might want to plan on celebrating (with beer and food) by having our first guest speaker come have a nice relaxed talk? Derek Crane, a good buddy of mine, is finishing up his PhD here at ESF. His field of expertise is with habitat restoration and hes a big muskie guy just like the rest of us. I thought itd be cool to bring him in and listen to what he has to say about helping us push the issue of going about making our waters better for esox. He said hed be more than happy to come and give a talk for us if everyone wanted. Hes spoken at several big events including AFS meetings accross the US. Let me know your thoughts and for those of you who are in contact with the members who might not regularly visit here or use the internet, id appreciate it if you ran it by them as well. Thanks guys

-Mike

Sounds just like what we need Mike, if everyone wants to bring a couple extra bucks with them- we will have a lure fundraiser also to get the fund going. Anyone have any extras baits they wanna bring?

Mark -

The website is a work in progress. I have been playing around with it for a while here. Check out what I have so far..... still undecided on it......

http://www.nymusky.com

I wanted to make it different and fun so we will be changing out the background picture each month to keep the look fresh.

Thanks,

Chad

Ok I will confirm it with him then (tentatively of course until I hear a definite go from the club).

By the way...has anyone heard anything about those cover letters? Does HQ have them or are we writing our own? I know some of us were assigned different papers to reach out to but I dont know if we are just contacting by phone or through letter?

Chad I think next month should just a be portrait of me to add a nice warmth and welcoming feeling to the site haha!

Next meeting will be Derek and I, and maybe ill see if Jenelle wants to attend bc whether she likes it or not her ass is getting a club membership haha

I used a couple of your photos on the site Mike - check out news section and membership page. Didn't want to use to many of you though...... trying to keep the site classy looking :rofl::lol: JK!

Anyone can send me pictures if they want them posted to the site. Just post them here on this topic and I will grab them for future use.

Yeah I can take pic down or put a credit on the pic for Kevin. I'll probably switch it with a different pic. I thought that was a pic you took. Thanks for pointing that out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Great to see NYS MI Chapter 69 moving along so well. If I can help with anything down here in Chautauqua County please let me know. Chad's web site should be a great addition to expanding membership and providing us with a working forum to display information about us, to those we need to reach. I have just finished a Grant Application for a local organization and know first hand that info goes a long way in securing cooperation from those in position to help. Wish it were not a 4 1/2 hour round trip/$50 gas bill, so I could attend meetings.

Love the logo also... Will make a great boat decal.

Chuck Battaglia

Musky Itch Too Guide Service

The site looks great so far, I love how it is so different from most sites. I think it will really set it apart from typical fishing sites.

The pictures in the background are a great touch, I am sure that it will be an honor for people to make the cut once they start to change.

I also think that logo is pretty sweet, I would definitely order a few decals, could be a good fund raising item!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Guys -

Thanks for the kind words on the website. I was a little on edge on what I thought about the site originally - like you said Tigerhunter, I really wanted to make it DIFFERENT from all the other sites out there. Here is the logos that I came up with incase anyone wants to download them and use them them for decals.

OFFICIAL LOGO (Black & White versions)

LOGO_v1_white.jpg

LOGO_v1_black.jpg

UN-OFFICIAL LOGO (Black & White versions)

This logo was voted down by the club but I wanted to post it anyways.

LOGO_v2_white.jpg

LOGO_v2_black.jpg

Mike - I updated the picture on the MEMBERSHIP page as well. Thank you.

Cheers :beer:

Chad

Great to see NYS MI Chapter 69 moving along so well. If I can help with anything down here in Chautauqua County please let me know. Chad's web site should be a great addition to expanding membership and providing us with a working forum to display information about us, to those we need to reach. I have just finished a Grant Application for a local organization and know first hand that info goes a long way in securing cooperation from those in position to help. Wish it were not a 4 1/2 hour round trip/$50 gas bill, so I could attend meetings.
Love the logo also... Will make a great boat decal.

Chuck Battaglia

I hear ya Chuck. Reminds me of when I lived in Caneadea in Allegany county between wives and the Chautauqua Musky Hunters were forming up. I made it to a couple meetings and the vibe was very positive/new club forming up and all looked great. Was exactly 100 miles one way on my odometer from my driveway to Lakewood Rod & Gun. That's why I only made two meetings a couple of months apart. Then I heard through the grapevine that the club was no more, sad. Too bad.

I remember the second (last one I attended) meeting had Paul McKeown DEC region 9 fisheries biologist as a speaker. This was not long after the great carp herpes die off on the lake. For those not familiar with the event that summer what happened was thousands of carp suddenly went belly up and littered the shore in rotting heaps. The Chautauqua Lake landowner's Association (seems every lake in NY has one) screamed for help and Albany answered by raiding the fund garnered from sales of fishing licenses, tackle and hunting equipment. This fund by law is reserved for promotion and preservation of hunting and fishing in New York, NOT beach clean up where cottagers are annoyed by the stench of dead fish.

He also (in hushed tones/"off the record") related that the source of the problem had indeed been verifiably traced to a specific home on the water with a pond that the owner had stocked with imported koi. The outlet of the pond empties into Chautauqua Lake. DEC established that is where the carp herpes came from. That is where the blame lies. That is not where the bill for the cleanup was sent.

This is exactly the sort of thing that we need clubs for. It's not about fishing, it's about not being jerked around by Albany. Ask the gun clubs. We all stand together or we all fall together but along the way the bigger dogs on the porch get special treatment and the landowner's associations have a lot of money to throw around and being in top tier cottage country they have the benefit of some legislators as neighbors so it gives them a back door upper hand.

I hate to say it but it's true, NY politics is rife with cronyism. That's just the way it is.

Also was a member of the Niagara Musky Association when I first heard of it which was in the spring of their second year. Wish I had heard about it sooner but I missed their start up. Getting the word out is a big hurdle for a new organization. Divorced my first wife soon thereafter and went south into Allegany county. Making the meetings was then tough because of the travel time/distance so that was in the past for me. Then the Chautauqua club spawned into being and I thought great, here's a group I can at least benefit with my membership dollars if not actually be at the meetings because of the distance but then that too came to an end.

The New York Muskies Inc. is a much needed force on the scene these days and has been a long time in coming. I know it was mulled over years ago and not pursued because it would basically have only benefited the upper Midwest states and really not been a viable thing here in New York, taxation without representation sort of thing.

This new alliance forming now gives me good vibes. I think it will prove to be a good thing. In the long run perhaps we may go our own way and form a union of chapters independent of Muskies Inc. if that seems the way to go as time goes on. I envision more chapters forming in other parts of the state because there are muskies spread far and wide in New York. We have the Niagara, Chautauqua, St. Lawrence, Great Chazy/ Lake Champlain and some rivers in the central southern tier as well with pures and tigers.

They may be scattered about a bit throughout the state but the muskie fanatics are out there and with muskie fishing becoming more and more popular the need for a club is greater than ever before. Much work lies ahead.

The esocid anglers of New York deserve a seat at the table with the bass crowd and the trout & salmon guys too. We have been ignored for too long.

Chad, I had my print guy try and enlarge the Official Logo Black/White Version to make up some decals for boats and Marina window across street where I have membership Applications, but he said they would not come out due to MB size or some such mumbo jumbo. Do you have a version that would work, also is there a color version?

Chuck Battaglia

Chuck - I do actually have a version made specifically for printing in black/white that I can send you to get some stickers made up. I'll look into the color option as well for you.

Mark - thanks for the kind words. It's a work in progress so hopefully it will get even better with time.

Cheers :beer: ,

Chad

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys...GOOD NEWS! We have something to celebrate at our meeting/social event next week...Just received word from national that we have been added to the membership portion of the website. So now, anyone who joins can select us directly from the list of chapters. (I just need to work with them to get us listed on the chapter list link on the home page).

Reminder that the next meeting/social event will be next wednesday Sept 26th. Believe it will still be at Nashvilles in Henrietta but will reconfirm.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Howdy everybody, looking forward to Wednesday at Nashville's.

Just in case~

If anyone else had been wondering, as I was, about their M.I. membership activation do not worry. I rejoined online with my credit card back on Tuesday August 28. Since that time I had heard nothing about it from M.I. but I knew my credit card payment went through o.k.

Perhaps "rejoined" is the operative phrase here. When I first joined years ago I received a big package in the mail from M.I. soon after which consisted of a welcome aboard letter, a window decal, an 8x5 laminated muskies/pike/tiger I.D. pictorial sheet for the boat, some other literature and a back issue of Muskies magazine. I guess I was anticipating a confirmation letter or at least an e-mail. I really didn't expect the big package again but something simple to confirm.

Today I sent an e-mail query off to M.I. and received back a response, on the same day. Just in case anyone else who has joined recently was also wondering, not to worry. It just takes a little time. Here is what I received back~

Subject: reactivation of Muskies Inc Membership

Your membership has been reactivated under your prior membership number 69-xxxxx. You can access on line immediately within the members only section by using the last 5 digits of your member number xxxxx.

Added a password so use xxxxx and xxxxxxxxx, you can change afterwards if you’d like.

Visit http://www.muskiesinc.org. If you have issues logging on due to lost passwords please notify me so we can assist.

Process for renewals: Members are updated though out the month and on the 28th of each month a batch download is done which is sent to the printers. ID Cards are processed within the first 10 days of the month after the download and the magazine is run on or about the 25th for mailing to arrive shortly after the first of the next month of planned publication. Until then enjoy the site and check us out at Keyes Outdoors first show of the season.

KO 1st Show Motor City Muskies Part 1 Master.m4v

Then check with your local network carrier for the next show being broadcast in your area to see the power of MI in action.

Publication plan for 2012 is as follows:

January/February Showcase issue – printed/mailed in December for early January delivery

November active membership for delivery.

March/April – printed/mailed in February for early March delivery

January active membership for delivery.

May/June – printed/mailed in April for early May delivery

March active membership for delivery.

July/August – printed/mailed in June for early July delivery

June active membership for delivery.

September/October – printed/mailed in August for early September delivery

July active membership for delivery.

November/December – printed/mailed in October for early November delivery

September active membership for delivery.

To avoid gaps in service, delays and missed magazines renew prior to your renewal date.

Welcome Back!

Ellen M Wells

Muskies Inc.

Administrative Secretary

1509 Stahl Road

Sheboygan, WI 53081

[email protected]

toll free - 888-710-8286

I hope this helps! :)