Drift jigging for salmon in deep water?

I know that trolling is the favorite technique for salmon and I have done it for years with varying degrees of success. Just wondered if anyone ever tried drifting with a big (1 or 2oz) jig or bigger. I would think a jig made to look like some of these flies that are run behind the big paddles would get a hit if the right motion or jigging style was used. Anyone ever try this? Seems like it would be a hoot to feel a king try and rip the rod out of your hands while drifting. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Here's a couple thoughts that occur to me about this topic. We jig for lakers on the Fingers and off the Bar w/ success and get an occasional brown or atlantic in the bargain but the lakers are very concentrated near the bottom which is ideal for the jigging presentation) and though they are a good fighter on a jigging rod they don't rip line like a King. So it seems to me like you've got 2 things against you when jigging for Kings; 1. It may take you a long time to locate an active king that's well situated for the jigging presentation to work, and 2.) If you do find one and hook up you are gonna want something w/ some serious line on it and a much longer or different style leader to allow for some stretch than we traditionally use to avoid tearing the hook out w/ the super braid.Sure seems like it would be a riot to try though!

Several times in the past I came out of Fairhaven in solid fog, went out deep to get away from the other boats. In about 250fow I marked balls of bait and schools of fish around them,I didn't have a jigging setup and I kept going, The fish were from the bottom to maybe 30ft off the bottom. That seams like the time to clear lines and park over them and jigg for them. :) .

I have it from a reliable source that a Seth green like setup with a heavy duty ugly stick can be jigged successfully with sometimes double hookups. I have done the wireline troll and jig combination that is standard use for stripers out in Cape Cod bay out on the lake with very good results. And yes when a salmon hits that lure it will send a shock wave right up your arm.

Come to think of it,instead of using my Cape Cod gear,it would probably work with any copper setup

• 1 month later...

Rolmops

That reminds me of a day we couldn't buy a bite out in front of the Salmon river in about 10ft of water. Had been dragging J plugs all day. So I put a NK mag spoon on a dipsey rod with 30lb fireline on it and was flatlining. I desided to wrap it under my arm and jig troll it with one hand and steer with the other. Well I hadn't exercized the drag on the "BS" OKuma reel in a while, and as most know, they take a set. Well a snotty king wacked it and ran. It spun me and nearly ripped the pole out of my hand. They can peel the line in 10ft of water. It was the only fish for the day. 15lber.

Have had them grab it when picking lines up, getting ready to go in.

Few things feel like that!!

Once last year, the Mrs. was driving, and I saw fish on the screen, streakers/lookers.

I hit the toggle up, on the port rear rigger, and had her ready on that rod.

It did not move 5 ft up, and it fired.

It almost pulled it out of her hands.

She didn't like that, but I thought it was hilarious. :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

im new to this technique but willing to give it a go. i go out on onartio fishing with my bass boat for late season smallies but often come across large balls of baitfish and BIG fish below. always slowed down and tried to get them with crankbaits. crankbaits wont go deep enough in most cases. what pound test for this technique? either for kings or browns. thanks