3 rod rule. What do you think?

Now that the three rod per angler law has been in effect for the better part of last season, what is everybody's opinion?

Lets hear it positive or negative.

Personally I like it.

I usually only have 2 people on the boat, sometimes three and very rarely four, and only get up to the lake on the weekends.

With only two or three on board, running the extra rods was definitely a benefit.

It allowed me to nail down a good productive spread much quicker which in turn increased our catch numbers.

When the fish were few and far between and spread out, again the extra rods increased our catch rate.

When we were on fish most of the time I didn't run the extra rods or at least not all of them but when the fishing was tough the extra rods were always in the water and they most definitely helped.

All in all I give the law a two thumbs up. :yes::yes:

What do you think?

Good fishing

Glen

I fish solo most of the time and the extra rod just about doubles my catch. When my fishing buddy comes along, we fish 2 down riggers,2 dipsy divers and 2 lead cores off the boards. This is a great spread for a 19 footer. It makes me feel like being on a twenty something footer with a tournament spread.

I love it!

Cornelis

I like it! I normally fish with just two on my boat. Down riggers x2 and 2 divers adding a couple extra lines off the planer boards has really increased the excitment out there! Especially on those slower days.

:yes::yes: We usually fish two in the boat with two riggers and two wire dipsies. This rule gives us the option to play with a copper or a leadcore if we want too. I remember a guy getting busted for having a lure draging next to the boat to check its action giving him one to many rods in the water. Even though it would probably never have been hit. I like the 3 rod rule.

I do not want any rules like this. New York State has so many rules, laws, regulations that it is impossible to keep up with everything some knee jerk politician can dream up. Texas just raised their speed limit to 75 MPH on the interstates. We need some Texas law makers here. I remember when the I90 was 70 MPH because building it justified a safe 80 MPH highway. There are too many anti everything people here who get their way because our lawmakers cow tow to their every whim. Let us have some elected who would plan on ending half of all of New York's stupid laws and regulations.

By the way, I fished the Santee Cooper reservoir in South Carolina and a fellow alone had 24 rods in the water for catfish and he could have had more if he wanted.

All freshwater areas of NYS except some of those with special regulations in place.

I like it. I don't normally run a lot of rods and am usually a big believer in the less is more philosophy at times, but my regular spread is six rods and seldom run more than that even with 4 or more people on board, but more and more lately, it seems to be just Dad and I on board, so it is really nice to be able to able to run my regular program instead of choosing which rods have to stay in the cabin like when it was 2 per and I could only run 4.

Tim

I fish alone a lot no A/P so some times all I can get down is two , but the times last year I did put three in it helpped me out a lot.........if nothing more than being able to change out one before pulling up one.................. other times even with one or two guys in the boat I still ran a solid three rod spread BUT if things were tuff I could keep dropping in more to find the "hot" rig.............. :yes: .........that was on the finger lakes now when I hit L.O. I ran 5 most times with just two of us on the boat....three riggers two wire divers..... :yes:

I'll let you know next year when I'm fishing with you Spooner. Last year was a little tough on me fighting one fish and you yelling at me to get another rod with a fish on! :(

What we going to do with a triple or quadruple hits? Might as well go home with all 6 rods bouncing. ;)

I'll let you know next year when I'm fishing with you Spooner. Last year was a little tough on me fighting one fish and you yelling at me to get another rod with a fish on! :(

What we going to do with a triple or quadruple hits? Might as well go home with all 6 rods bouncing. ;)

You just gotta hop to it!!!! :lol: