Finger Lakes trout help!!!!

Hey everyone,

Just started trolling on Owasco, I was wondering about some trout rigs(browns bows and lakers). Also what type of line you run of your riggers and boards. I was thinking about lead core off the boards with a flasher/fly or a spoon? We troll a lot of stick baits from the riggers, and I would like to expand our bait selection. Please help were experienced rigger men but never really explored other bait possibilities we found something that seemed to work in stick baits and stuck to it. A good day for us is 6. I want more, and bigger!!! We have to 2 manual cannons, and 2 walleye boards. The boards are new to us, any knowledge on them would be awesome as well.

Alex,

I think running a leadcore with a flasher/fly combo along with the leadcore would be a little to much for the walleye boards to pull. You could switch things up though run your stickbaits off the leadcore and try your flasher/flys off the riggers. I run a 10 color off of the inline offshore planers with either a spoon or a stick bait and they pull pretty hard, it works but they struggle. Don't forget cheaters, probably 1/2 the fish that I catch are on cheaters.Thats just an extra line attached to your main line with a rubber band or you can purchase the actual clip in Dicks or most fishing stores for that matter. Excuse me if you already knew about cheaters, just giving you some options. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics.

Tom

Tom,

I had never heard of cheaters planer boards are very new to us. I did some quick research and saw that cheaters are another line attached between your rod tip and board? If that's the case how do you attached the rubberband and clip? I'm very excited about this, were from PA were its 2 lines per person. This 3 lines per person in NY is very exciting!!

Thank you i appreciate the post more then you know,

Alex

Tom,

I had never heard of cheaters planer boards are very new to us. I did some quick research and saw that cheaters are another line attached between your rod tip and board? If that's the case how do you attached the rubberband and clip? I'm very excited about this, were from PA were its 2 lines per person. This 3 lines per person in NY is very exciting!!

PA is three lines per person now.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

ddubs,

I didn't know that, i haven't bought my license in PA for 2012 yet. Hows the fishing out there in raystown? Ive been dying to get out and troll for those big stripers and trout

There are as many trees as you care to snag. A few lakers and stripers too.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Tom,

Thank you i appreciate the post more then you know,

Alex

Cheater or slider goes on your rigger line, don't use it on a board line. This spring you want 3, 4, and 5 color core off boards with standard stinger, super slims or some smaller spoons. I have some color paterns that kill the Walleye and Bows on that lake in the spring. Start North after ice out around the points on the East side for the eyes and bows, lakers will be up that way also. as things warm up slide South. Summer program I would always have a 5 or a six color core in for the eyes out deep over bait and then 8 to 12 color for the rest You can do the same with copper 50ft to 300 ft, but the eyes like the action of the core more than the copper. Wire divers and your rigger rods will take care of the Lakers, I would save the flasher and flies for the diver rods. Sean

Thank you Sean,

We live on Conklin cove Just north or long point on the east side. We generally troll north to Burtis then back down. I would love to be able to catch both walleye and rainbow from the boards. How many FOW do you generally troll in during the spring, and how deep do you put your riggers? Last spring we put our riggers from 5-30ft down and fish from 40 to 100FOW this worked well for the lakers. Also i have a large variety of spoons i bought them second hand but i have just about every size and color, can't wait to put them to good use.

Any tips on color or pattern?

Thanks so much,

Alex