Owasco Walleye Anyone?

alex1young

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they are all gone ...Ever notice that when walleye were introduced ...the rainbow population dwindled...Same over at Otsego Lake ( Cooperstown )...Walleye are great if you enjoy cranking in a dead weight...By the way...I caught a couple two years ago in Owasco....while fishing for rainbow...I knew the minute they hit that they were either carp or walleyes......No action

Well OldTex, u better ask the state to stock Rainbows in the lake as opposed to the outlet below the dam, and I'm sure all those extra lake trout that the DEC stocked just helped the rainbows. Ive caught alot of walleye out of that lake, have never seen a trout in their stomach, however have seen alot in northern pike stomachs full of stocked rainbows and browns that were put into the inlet. Walleye may not fight as good as a rainbow, but Id rather eat a walleye. While your at it, I think you should blame the walleye for the lack of landlock salmon too, and the fact that the laketrout are getting smaller, and that there are not as many browns anymore, and that the overall size of the northern pike is declining................ between the smelt and alewife, this lake has more forage right now than most other fingers, It can support multiple predators at the stage it is in. Walleyes didn't overpower or eat the rainbows and browns in this lake and they sure didn't depleat the alewives or smelt that are there. Please stop blaming the walleye like the state when they didn't have a proper management answer. You want to blame a predator start looking at the alewife, and the amt of yoy fry they consume.

Not trying to start an argument here BUT I don't agree lyk2 fish. I have caught ALOT of Walleyes from the finger lakes and I have found numerous Trout in them some upwards of 9 inches and fully recognizable. I love to fish for Walleyes and also love caching Trout. Nature has a way of taking care of itself. NYS has some wonderful fishing opportunites. If you don't like the amount of Rainbows your catching there are better fisheries in the state to go to. Finger Lakes Walleyes are alot of fun to catch and I agree they taste great. Just my 2 cents.

wcerin, no offense taken, respect your opinion, in terms of Owasco, I,ve done stomach content analysis on every walleye I've caught over the last 5 years and the only prey species I have found in their stomachs is Alewife and yoy perch. Not saying that they won't eat a trout, but I think I would have found one by now. I will attach an exerpt on alewife predation later on young yoy fish which was conducted by Lars Rudstom At the Cornell Bio Field station using captive Alewife taken from Owasco. Alewife will deminish yoy populations of fish up to 16mm long. Like you I love all fish. But I studied walleyes and fisheries and in this lake from my experience, Alewife is the primary forage.