looking to try copper for the 1st time is the Opti-Tackle copper good?

Make sure you buy 45lb copper since that is what a majority of the anglers are using. I would shy away from the Opti ready-rig stuff as I have seen the backing not be as strong as it should be for the longer coppers, however they may have changed that. A-TOM-MIK copper has been around for a while, and it's tried and true. The Blood Run stuff has been around for a few years and everyone who runs it seems to like it. I have very little exposure to the Opti stuff.

thanks guys, man there is a lot to learn buy and try ive been reading the posts on this site nightly trying to firgure out what I need to change for the up coming season. Being my secound season I hope to produce a lot more kings and you guys are a great source of knowledge. I think i will go with the A-TOM-MIK, any suggestions for a rod and reel combo that wont break the bank. Thanks again

ttomik has ready to go reels all filled with copper, leader and the apprpriate amount of backing. As fool proof as you can get. I tend to put more money into the reel end of the deal rather than the rod end. I use dipsey strength rods for my coppers.

You can buy a 600 that is marked every 50' from atommik and run it down the chute what ever length you want. The only issue with that is fighting fish around it. I have 7 different copper setups from 100 - 500'.

I got a 600 copper from Tom last fall and love it, it is really good to have it mark that way you can fish from 100' out to 3-400 feet, I don't think you will need to go 600 plus you will have forearms like popeye if you hookup but if you loose some or get a tangle you can cut it and still have enough to use down the road for quite some time.