Question for OUPV License holders...

Misty IV

I have been considering going after my OUPV license for some time now. My girlfriend is really pushing me to do it, as well. Of the captains here, how many of you have gone for your Master's Upgrade after receiving your Six Pack license? I'm trying to look ahead and determine if the Master's is something I should consider down the road, as well. Input, opinions, why to get it/not to get it, etc? Thanks!

My opinion.... they make it sound like a no brainer to spend the extra weekend and $200. I honestly could not see myself or most of the rest of the class to ever use it. A couple of us didn't do it and still see no reason to. Dennis and his crew are nice people but they make you feel guilty in front of the class if you don't and I didn't.

Just my 2 cents.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Well i believe if you dont get your masters upgrade now you cant just "upgrade later". I believe you have to take the entire test again for a masters. Might want to check on that to make sure.

When I took the test I went for the masters upgrade. Will i ever use it? who knows?

I got my training with US Captain's Training and took the Masters upgrade. A few more questions on the test and you have it. Based on the time and dollars invested, I thought it made sense.

Thanks for all the input so far. I found a well-recognized and USCG approved online training course which would allow me to study the material from home with the availability to contact an instructor with questions, then when I am ready, go to a certified exam center to take the test. Because of my limited vacation time at work, I am thinking of doing the online thing, then traveling on the weekend to take the exam(s). Does anyone feel doing the online has any disadvantages over the classroom, other than not having the "hands-on" time with the instructors? I would love to sit in a class with a group of people after the same thing, but to need to use up a week's worth of vacation time could be an issue with me this year with the plans I have with the family. Thoughts?

I also went through Seatech Marine Training (Dennis Daniels) awesome class awesome instructors, I took my coures in Buffalo NY 2 nights a week from 6:30 -10:00. I did the masters upgrade also. You might as well do it while your doing the rest of the course.

I took my course through mariners learning system online.. Its probably a little tougher than the classroom but you can study the material whenever you want and have a year to take the test. If youre uncomfortable with some of the material you can just study it until you feel you know it. I got a 100 in all four sections and they dont just teach you how to pass the test. They will send you text books with practice tests after each section and if you can pass them you wont have a problem when it comes time to take the real thing.