.204 Ruger

T_barb

Your spot on DJ the case was taken from the .26 cal. nailing gun and they thicken the shell walls and necked it down to 17cal. and you can get up to 25 grain tip, that one going 26 something, but the 20 grainers are smoking at 3000fps. The fastest rim fire on earth, I saw the ballistics but can't remember the statistics but it beats the hottest 22mag all to hell, and wind drift was even better than the 22mag. Where did you purchase the rifle I've been looking high and low for one.

Pap,

I'm not sure where he bought it. I think he found one at a local shop.  I also heard that Winchester is coming out with a single shot falling block style rifle chambered for it as well.  Model 73 maybe? Not sure about that though. 

• 2 weeks later...

What caliber would make this scenario "ethical"?

Come on man - the point of my post is a .204 Ruger is a poor choice for deer hunting, especially a 160 yd. shot. I'm not going to sit here and give you a Chuck Hawk's run down on a better and ethical caliber choice. 

To be honest, I'm not even sure what you are asking in your post.

Respectfully submitted,

Chris

Come on man - the point of my post is a .204 Ruger is a poor choice for deer hunting, especially a 160 yd. shot. I'm not going to sit here and give you a Chuck Hawk's run down on a better and ethical caliber choice. 

To be honest, I'm not even sure what you are asking in your post.

Respectfully submitted,

Chris

Haha.  Take it easy Chris.  I get your point, I just disagree with your logic.  Shot placement is what makes the shot ethical, not the caliber.  Pap dropped that deer in it's tracks which sounds like an ethical shot to me.  I've seen a lot of unethical shots in my hunting career and I wouldn't blame a one of them on the cailber.  Just my .02

It's all good,

Jason

Haha.  Take it easy Chris.  I get your point, I just disagree with your logic.  Shot placement is what makes the shot ethical, not the caliber.  Pap dropped that deer in it's tracks which sounds like an ethical shot to me.  I've seen a lot of unethical shots in my hunting career and I wouldn't blame a one of them on the cailber.  Just my .02

It's all good,

Jason

I completely disagree with you. Shot placement, proper caliber, shot presentation, proper maintenance of your equipment, following laws of the land ALL play into ethics. If we followed your logic, there would be no need for any caliber restrictions and we could hunt deer with a .22 as long as we could guarantee the perfect shot placement.

I'm sure you're arguing semantics, but a .204 Ruger is a bad choice for big game.

- Chris

Hey guys, the 204 was designed for varmints and a damn good yote gun, I agree the 22-250 is the best cal for coyote hunting. So lets talk fishing!! at least we can return them to their own world after we had our fun. You can only shoot and kill an animal once but with catch and release we all can enjoy the sport with out getting in to one's personal belief.  The browns are calling our name in a few months!! PAP.

Hey guys, the 204 was designed for varmints and a damn good yote gun, I agree the 22-250 is the best cal for coyote hunting. So lets talk fishing!! at least we can return them to their own world after we had our fun. You can only shoot and kill an animal once but with catch and release we all can enjoy the sport with out getting in to one's personal belief.  The browns are calling our name in a few months!! PAP.

:handshake:  :yes:

Amen to that. I am sorry for dragging this on so no hard feelings whatsoever. Let's count the days down until we're all back on the water. 

Cheers,

Chris

post-151421-13890615663377_thumb.jpg

M4 (.223/5.56) is my choice for coyote. Hornady Superformance 53g 200yd zero. Allows you to make cocky head shots like this one.

post-151421-13890617017638_thumb.jpg

Or nicely placed shots like this.

post-151421-13890617906989_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app