Alewife vs. herring

typical cutbait herring or buy whole alewives and filet them myself for cutbait? alewife route will be cheaper but seems like herring is more popular. Has anyone tried both and had better luck with one over another or am I looking too much into it and meat is meat?

another option is mc rockets. they work, why ?i have no idea but they glow forever and are tuneable. put herring scent on them

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

There are 2 main reasons why Rockets perform so well : The glow, which makes them visible from a long distance, but even more importantly, the action, or roll. Back in the old days, when Ryes Davis made both herring strips & anchovies, I rarely used herring strips, as I didn't like the actiot created only by the teaser head, but used anchovies because you controlled the action with the bend you put on it with your hook behind the dorsal fin. By having a solid aluminum spine in the Rocket, this action could be imitated very easily. The glow brings them in for a look, then your action seals the deal. I very rarely use scent myself on a Rocket, but I know many that do successfully. Salmon are instinct hitters, with limited eye sight( about 12-18"in front of them of focussed sight), so I'm not sure how important scent really is. They hit metal spoons, mylar flies, both without scent, although some do add it. The action of which ever bait you're using is critical, which is why speed is so important, especially when using spoons, as we all know that most spoons have an optimal speed for that desired action.

Getting back to your original question, an alewife in an anchovy style teaser head would be my choice, although I've never tried it. Your presentation , or action, is #1

another option is mc rockets. they work, why ?i have no idea but they glow forever and are tuneable. put herring scent on them

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

There are 2 main reasons why Rockets perform so well : The glow, which makes them visible from a long distance, but even more importantly, the action, or roll. Back in the old days, ...original question, an alewife in an anchovy style teaser head would be my choice, although I've never tried it. Your presentation , or action, is #1

Guess that makes sense...action is #1, scent is just adding to it. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks rocket.