Best Net for the job

I have been using a telescoping handled net that feels like it wants to snap in half when landing bigger fish. I want one of these full size non telescoping handled oversize salmon nets. What brands are popular and where can I get one with out a 2nd mortgage?

Dave's right. Point the handle tip at the sky above you beore you try to lift the fish into the boat, after you have the fish in the net. Beckman nets have a thicker wall in the handle than others and you don't have to worry about bending or crimping of the handle if you keep the net in a holder and it is affected by wind when running from place to place. The time I forgot and left it extended during a 30+ MPH run caused the holder to break free, but no damage to the handle. The handle, when extended, is about 12 feet long. That's a lot of wind resistence, but a good reach-out to the fish.

Like Gotta Bite I've got a ranger net on my boat which I bought at Dick's last year. I'm very pleased, and it didn't break the bank. I'd love to get a 2nd one on the boat with the rubber netting for smaller fish, just easier to get them out of the net, unhooked and back into the water quicker. See what Dick's has, 45-50 bucks.

Before that I had a Frabill. It was not a good salmon net at all, the hop and net were ok, but the handle was total junk. I bent it several times just scooping through the water trying to net a fish.

+1.

Used a coupon at Dick's this summer and got a nice Ranger that when collapsed, will sling across my back. Extended, it's long enough for reaching the water from a pier or high bank (like Ellison Park). I'd intended on using it from the boat as well but took advantage of Captain Larry's Beckman offer.

We keep a pair of the 'Big Fish' nets from Cabelas on the boat when fishing for Kings (very reasonably priced and much better to have 2 nets if just 2 people in the boat!). I like to e-tape a release that's got a planer line tail on it to the handle. Make sure the bag of the net is in the release b4 you stick the net under the fish- that way you don't wind up w/ your hooks hung up in the bag instead of the fish. Like the other guys are saying just grab the hoop to lift the fish out of the water and into the boat- don't strain the handle, it's not made to deal w/ that kind of load. -Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...