downrigger rods/reels/line

REZ

Guys once again I could use your help. I dont want to waste my $ setting up for Ontario. What rods/reels/line do you use for your downriggers? Also what set ups do you usually run? I got the dipseys covered thanks to you guys.

Thanks REZ

Okuma classic pro MH for rods with 30 lb test Ande for attractors and flies.

Shimano Tolaras for rods with 30 lb test necked down to a 20 lb flourocarbon leader for spoons and plugs.

Shimano Tekota 600LC's for reels on all.

This is for Salmon.

8' 3" light action Shakespear ugly stick downrigger rods teamed up with Diawa Sealine 27's with 8 lb test for Browns.

All the above gear has served me well.

No complaints.

Glen

sg47lc diawia for the wire dipsies, Shimano Tekota 600LC's for the rigger rods/400' copper on a shimano tekota 800. all on fish dr custom rods. Those are my salmon rods . 1000 shimano Charter specials on diamondback rods and fish 307 rods for the fingerlakes and browns.

In my opinion then best rig is the diawa heartland rods, (the plainer board rods have bigger eyes on them allowing you to reel up the longer leaders needed for browns, the swivel goes through the eye very easy). They make a pole for each type of fishing such as planer board, downrigger, dipsy..And its hard to beat the saltiest reel, one fantastic reel. eventually all my salmon reels will be changed over. They are worth the money, I wish I had started with them. I use 25# big game for salmon with 20 Floro leader.. For browns I use 10# with 10#Floro. 8# if I just can't get them on the 10. If you need some prices PM me I will see about getting you some prices, I do sell some fishing gear, as my distributor dose carry it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just changed out my Diawa47LCs to 4 Shimano600LCs loaded with 20# big game and 8' 6" Medium Action rods. Question: Can I use 20# Braid for a leader, since it has the size of 6# Mono? How effective would this set-up be? Thanks in advance for any input! Steve..............

Daiwa Saltist 30's on Daiwa Heartland 8'6" Medium action rods with 30lb Ande or Flea flicker for riggers. Daiwa Saltist 30's on Daiwa Heartland 9'6" Diver rods with Malin 7 strand 30lb ss wire for divers.

I try to do everything on the cheap and have built my arsenal based mostly on USED old style Diawa Great lakes 47LCs and Eagle claw Yellow Starfire SF400a 8' 6' and SF400 7.6 .The rods are inexpensive, fiberglass, which is forgiving in cold WX, Durable, and I love the Yellow rod blanks as my Eyes pick up a release quicker. The poles I usually buy new. Thru slow shopping I have picked up around 10 47LCs. Ea. I never pay more than $45ea to my door or let them slide. I prefer these over brand new Okumas that I have retired because the drags are smoother and they break less for me. My Okumas also seem to have LCs that forget to start without fiddling with them, an annoyance but tolerable. The drags are sensitive enough to reduce down for light leaders on the Diawas. I bought a monster spool of 30lb Ande pink that I keep in a brown paper bag that I have been spooling with for years. It is quite flea resistant and handles aggressive Blacks release pressures. If I were starting from scratch now I would buy a big spool of the cheaper P-line 30lb. coated. For spring Browns and Cayuga Winter planer brd fishing I splice quite long "75ft" 8-12lb Leaders “P-Line Flourâ€, recommended by ours truly, furry Ray K., to the Ande to try and stealth things up. I have had great success splicing leaders with double uniknots and can't say I ever remember losing a fish to a uniknot failure. The dbl uniknot will go through small eyelets so that is not a concern. I'm a firm believer in Seaquar 40lb Flouro leaders for salmon as I used to get bit off all the time with 30lb Ande on meatheads and that totally went away with the leader material. I think Atomiks & Big Weenies flies are built with it or a variant of it. I realize this is a compromise and would love to have an arsenal of dedicated browns rods with smaller reels and graphite poles but what I have works. I did notice that when reducing down from a Diawa 47 to a 27, the wt. diff. was quite negligible. I wonder if an arsenal of browns rods would be better served with 17s. They may not have enough line capacity? Hope this helps in your decision making.

Reels; The Daiwa Accudepth PLUS is a good, reasonably priced option. I have these that are on thier 4th year, still work like new..I use the 57 size and load it up with 400 yds of 20# Big Game. when the fleas show up I add 200 feet of 30# pink Ande on top

Rods; cant do wrong with Shimano TDR or the Daiwa Heartland, I like the 1 piece 7 ftrs.

both are priced around $25

good Luck, Joe

• 2 weeks later...