Know what these are?

The answer...... at least my answer:

"Has Been" was the closest . They are Mac Jac releases.

As near as I can remember we used these in Michigan before we had salmon in Ontario. Some of the guys used them in the Finger Lakes also. These were used as the downrigger release. We didn't usually stack them but, they were attached by the clip to the downrigger wire.

The doughnut was trapped on your main line, sliding between the rod tip and the swivel. You held on to the doughnut and slid the line through it until you had the lure back as many "pulls" as you wanted it. You then twisted the doughnut several turns to prevent it from sliding and forced it into the "U" of the clip When a fish hit, the doughnut pulled from the "U" and you had "fish on". The other thing I remember about that Lake Michigan fishing during the "American Salmon Derby" each early fall, was that we only used two kinds of lures. We either used #4 J-Plugs (lime green or silver) or silver Miller #06's (plain or hammered).

The releases were likely used in a somewhat different configuration on Yellow Birds as some have suggested.

Things have changed a little!!!

Dick