Downrigger Braid??

Hey guys, Just bought two new Cannon Uni-Troll 10's. They came spooled with 200 feet of 150lb. stainless cable, but I'd like to run either the Scotty or PowerPro downrigger braid. I know guys have different opinions on it, but the hum of cable drives me nuts! I just got off the phone with a rep. from Cannon and he told me it's a really bad idea. He said the braid will "swell" once it becomes wet, and ultimately crush the arbor of the spool on the downrigger. I'm just looking for opinions, ideas, thoughts........whatever. Throw it out there. Thanks and tight lines.

Braid will not swell and crack your spool. Some tried mono cable (ocean fishermen), and that WILL crack a plastic spool. Braid has some great features. It is easier on the hands, easier and cheaper to terminate at the ball, less blow back, no hum. The draw backs are no hum (my braid rigger caught the least fish this year) if you believe the hum draws fish via lateral line, flea build-up, your line counter on your rigger will be off 10' at 100' of cable out because of the smaller diameter so you will have to pay attention or lose equipment.

I know the diameter of the Cannon cable is .035 for their 150lb test cable. The 150lb Power Pro is .022 in diameter. You are gaining a little less blow back and no hum on the cable with the Power Pro. Whether or not cable hum is a difference maker no one will ever know. Power Pro is much faster and easier to terminate. With that being said for the price of the Power Pro keep the cable on your riggers. Your not going to gain a whole lot for the investment.