Seneca Perch

Lund SSS

Need more details & pics !!!!!!!!!

you live on the lake .......as far as pics yellow and gold 13"-15" long

You've gotta give me more than that Steve!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Oh no you don't ...... look at your calendar it's that time again Abe. Jumbos galore and a whole lot more

Darell can bring you up to speed, he fished with Dad today sounds like it was tough for them but they also got screwed by another boat. Back at it tomorrow then off for a few weeks. March is going to be good :rofl::rofl:

There's not really any secret to Seneca...all you have to do is promise your firstborn :D

Seriously, though, it's all attention to details and being in the right place at the right time. We were doing fair to middlin' til the wind picked up, then they started slamming. It was the right time. Steve was fishing lighter test line and a fluorocarbon leader with an ultralight St. Croix. I was fishing with frozen hands. He felt the bites somewhat better than I did :$ at least til I was smart enough to put on some gloves. We know a guy who fishes a pool cue. He gets frustrated a lot.

The guys who catch the really BIG perch don't look for #s. They fish the nomads like they're smallmouth bass. And for all intents and purposes, that's what a 2 lb+ perch is. The beauty of yesterday was that we had a huge # of perch over a pound, and a large percentage of them were males. That translates to meat on the table, rather than roe...although I guess some guys like the roe. Anyway, I'd generally rather catch a limit of 12-13 inch fish then a couple of 14+ inch fish. I go to Seneca to fill the freezer for the rest of the year.

And we don't generally post pictures of the days we got skunked ;) . You've got to put your time in.

You dont have to go far from Lodi launch or Severne launch to find the perch on Seneca. Keep moving until you find a good class of perch. Very small jigs with fatheads always work for us. Usually 30 feet or less of water. Depends on the time of year. Might be a bit too early for less than 30 feet of water. just find lund sss and anchor 10 feet away. :lol:

You dont have to go far from Lodi launch or Severne launch to find the perch on Seneca. Keep moving until you find a good class of perch. Very small jigs with fatheads always work for us. Usually 30 feet or less of water. Depends on the time of year. Might be a bit too early for less than 30 feet of water. just find lund sss and anchor 10 feet away. :lol:

First of all let me say "Gator" is spot on ...... details, details and more details. I worked with 1 of the best Seneca perch guys I know of and he turned me on to the super light line (4 lb nanofil) casts farther than ANYTHING I've used. Setting the hook is a flick of the wrist even at 50 yards .... no joke you can cast a long way with this stuff ask Keith. I was getting most of my hits the minute my rig hit the bottom. Lost a few real big fish bringing them to the boat from such a long way away. There mouths don't hold up to heavy pulling that's why I use an Ultra light 6' 6" St. Croix Avid. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE ....... TRUST ME ON THIS ONE GUYS

As far as the where, most of the fish have been inside 20' but don't think you can't find them deeper. Earlier we were catching them much deeper (over 50') now there starting to push up and it's just a matter of time and they will be in 12'-15' of water. When their that shallow you CAN NOT SPOOK them or there gone. When you see 5, 6, or 8 boats together there's a reason but what I'll tell you is this 1 of them is catching fish the rest are watching him. move till you find them away from the pack. DON'T throw you anchor, slip it in as quietly as possible and make sure it doesn't slip. I'm running a 12 lb Danforth with a 20lb Naval (fluke style) at the front of my 5' chain. Once it's down it DOES NOT move. One slip and the fish you were catching are GONE. I don't have anything to hide..... I welcome all the PM's you guys want to throw at me. Met a lot of good guys sharing info and the perch thing is starting to get easier after 15 years of doing it.

Aahhh! Those are some tasty looking shots, Lund SSS! Reminds me of mounted stringers I used to see at the old Bob's Bait Shop in Lakeville on Conesus (sadly, he's passed on..). And a very good info posting with the anchoring tips. For years now Seneca has been my fav spot for Jumbos...

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at old posts and saw your Seneca perch post. Do you think a day this week would be a good time to go perch fishing? Not looking for throphy fish, just food. Sick of eating deer. Any advice would be great. Thanks Anthony

with the weather mint for the next week.. why would'nt it be a good time to do some perch fishin.

this week the fishing should really heat up everywhere.. g you can pass the deer meat my way anytime... seriously though.. once you find the schools gonna be fun.. I really miss not having my boat

good luck.

Looking at old posts and saw your Seneca perch post. Do you think a day this week would be a good time to go perch fishing? Not looking for throphy fish, just food. Sick of eating deer. Any advice would be great. Thanks Anthony

If your not familiar with Seneca Lake, do yourself a favor and go to Sodus or Irondequiot. If you don't you could go hungry. ;)

Anthony,

Dad and I are going to give it a go this week will post any details .... If you put your time in you should be able to find them.

Thanks guys. I understand that there is no substitution for putting in the time but posts like yours help a guy know where to start. Especially a guy who is really hungry! I plan on getting out this week at least once.